IRENA outlines key innovations to integrate variable renewable energy (VRE) into the energy mix as a sustainable model of transforming the energy grid.
The need to balance supply and demand for energy is paramount and innovation is essential to enable wind and solar to dominate energy supply. IRENA mapped and categorised innovative solutions including storage, new grids, new consumer business models and trading, grid flexibility, and distributed generation.
The report culminates in an 8-step plan to transform the energy sector…
- Anticipate future power system needs
- Adopt a systemic approach
- Foster learning by doing
- Account for changing roles and responsibilities
- Create synergies through sector coupling
- Make market-design innovation a priority
- Turn smart innovations into smart solutions
- Adopt an open and co-operative approach to innovation
Source and images – IRENA