Renewable energy jobs worldwide exceeded 11 million in 2018. IRENA reported an increase from 10.3 million in 2017.
Key data from the Renewable Energy and Jobs Annual Review for 2019, published by IRENA (International Renewable Energy Agency):
- 11 million renewable energy sector jobs in 2018.
- 39% of all renewable energy jobs are in China. 60% are in Asia.
- 3.6 million jobs in Solar PV, the predominant sub-sector of renewables. Solar jobs increased in India, Southeast Asia and Brazil. Solar employment decreased in China, the United States, Japan and the European Union.
- 32% of renewable energy jobs are held by women (compared to 22% for the oil and gas industry).
- Employment in wind power supports 1.2 million jobs. Onshore projects predominate, but the offshore segment is gaining traction and could build on expertise and infrastructure in the offshore oil and gas sector.
- Hydropower has the largest installed capacity of all renewables but is now expanding slowly. The sector employs 2.1 million people directly, three quarters of whom are in operations and maintenance.
Sources and further reading:
Renewable Energy and Jobs – Annual Review 2019 (IRENA)