We have been retained to deliver a COO search mandate for a fast growing Japanese renewable energy developer. This company has an established pipeline across on and offshore projects and has big ambitions to be a national leader in the sector.
Main duties will include the following:
- Direct and oversee all aspects of finance, accounting, audit, regulatory/internal compliance, risk/performance management, controls, policies, procedures, financial projections, and budgets;
- Provide leadership for the continuous evaluation of short and long-term strategic financial objectives and recommendations to strategically enhance financial performance and business opportunities, especially as they relate to financial integrity and business expansion;
- Lead relationships with banks with regards to project/debt financing requirements, and for future fund planning and capital raising;
- Counsel the management team on strategic enhancements on financial performance and business opportunities, including fiscal control and profitability;
- Ensure that financial reports to management, partners, and regulators, are accurate, appropriate and properly interpreted;
- Oversee, develop, review and enforce controls, policies, and procedures for risk and performance management;
- Support the investment and asset management team in reviewing project pipelines/investment opportunities and portfolio management. The candidate will also participate in the overall management of the firm as an Investment Committee member;
- Serve as a primary liaison with investors, auditors, and consultants/advisors while maintaining regulatory and internal compliance needs as it relates to financial due diligence, analysis, and financial policies and procedures in conjunction with acquisitions and dispositions
- Ensure best practice financial modeling and analysis across the various teams and businesses while promoting a data-driven culture internally.
- Field broader operational and administrative responsibilities as required by the business, and as such willing to be hands-on and the ability to be adaptable will be key. E.g., handling projects to update company marketing materials/website, to addressing decisions around financial systems implementations and upgrades.
- The role offers an excellent opportunity to work for a growth-oriented company in an exciting, developing and environmentally friendly industry.
Our client is keen to recruit a seasoned finance and business professional with significant experience most likely from an alternatives investment/asset management firm (renewables, real estate, private equity, and infrastructure) or financial institution. Relevant experience in another alternative/ operating asset classes will also be considered.
Prior experience as senior finance and/or business manager, with both the ability and ambition to step into a leadership role, will be a prerequisite. With the firm continuing to drive the strategic growth of the business, the COO will be integral to the day to day leadership and management of the firm.
The COO will be a talented finance and business leader who will thrive in a growing and entrepreneurial platform. The candidate will have a desire to engage in long-term business building, and be a central part of the evolution and growth of the business.
Specific competencies include the following:
- Energetic, self-driven, resourceful and able to thrive in a growing and entrepreneurial business environment;
- Excellent leadership and communication skills and ability to meet deadlines;
- Able to multi-task and wear different “hats”, and as such be prepared to take on any task, big or small;
- Financial modeling skills with regard to cash flow and forecasting/budgeting;
- High-level understanding of systems implementation;
- Highly analytical, need to be a “numbers person”
- Implementation, monitoring, and management of internal controls to include documentation and audits;
- Co-ordination, preparation, and maintenance of annual budgets;
- Compliance coordination (Insurance. Tax agencies, Labor related etc.);
- Experience at managing relationships with financial institutions, advisors, accounting firms, lawyers etc.
Strong written and verbal communication skills in Japanese and English (near-native Japanese fluency required).
apply for this now
+44 7710 074 615