Taylor Hopkinson have been retained to search for and select a Chief Technical Officer for a new joint venture platform seeking to add assets to their already substantial European Offshore Wind portfolio. The role will report to the CEO and be responsible for the due diligence, engineering and execution of a portfolio of offshore wind assets.
The successful candidate will be a degree qualified engineer or above with a strong technical background centred on offshore wind, but this could also consist of a blend of broader renewable and /or offshore oil & gas technology. Strong credibility with investors and JV partners established through the successful development of offshore wind projects from pre-construction through to FID and ideally to EPC contract award and execution. Demonstrable experience in leading positive outcomes on technical due diligence processes in leadership positions in offshore wind energy companies.
- The Technical Director will represent the company’s interests in technical review for offshore wind projects alongside their project partners.
- Provide technical oversight on surveys (wind, wave and geotechnical) in the development stage, review engineering specification and construction project strategies and help negotiate the contracts with supply chain together with commercial and legal partners.
- Report to the VP and the project’s board (upon request), including the interplay between financing requirements, technical solutions and supplier agreements.
- Contribute to the key development stages up to financial close, with a full asset life cycle mind-set.
- Support Business Development team in technical due diligence processes for further offshore wind project acquisition with a focus on the following:
- Key technical assumptions underlying the development plan of projects.
- Operational excellence / efficiency opportunities.
- Negotiations around technical matters concerning new investments such as construction management/O&M outsourcing arrangements.
- Liaise with all internal & external project partners including project lenders, designers, technical advisors, local governments, insurance providers, electricity off-taker’s technical personnel and maintain a strong network.
- Maintain an effective and systematic control of project and comply with project’s reporting standards on budget, planning, interface risk management, etc.
- Accountable for ensuring that technical matters are in accordance with legislation, ethics, industry standards, tender technical requirements, regulatory aspects and project policies.
- A minimum of bachelors degree in an engineering discipline, ideally supported by post graduate qualifications in engineering, management or business management.
- Substantial experience in the wind sector, with the lion's share spent in leading the development, technical design review, procurement strategy, manufacturing and installation planning of offshore wind projects.
- Experience in evaluation of site conditions, marine works (arrangement of vessels, ports and installation works), FEED options analysis.
- Ability to work at the start up stage of a project, develop systems / standards and processes.
- Strong commitment and proven leadership skills, accomplished planning and organization skills.
- Work collaboratively with other departments (including but not limited to the business development department and the finance department) and the project JV partners.
- Ability to communicate across all levels and multiple nationalities and cultures.
- Excellent communication, diplomatic, networking and influencing skills both inside and outside the JV project team.
- Ability to take initiative and make rational decisions, even when under pressure, and be result oriented.
- Exposure to full EPC execution and commissioning phases of offshore wind farms would be advantageous.
- Ability to liaise with the various packages of EPCI work and minimise interface risks.
- Willing to travel frequently to countries/regions where the projects are located.
- Share knowledge and experience in offshore wind with peers in the technical department.
Apply for this Now
0141 559 6160