Cost Estimation Lead
Floating Wind Farm
Taylor Hopkinson has been retained to search and select a Cost Estimation Lead for a leading floating wind energy company. You will be working in a business unit that is responsible for guiding the company’s strategic direction, economic competitiveness, market positioning, and business planning. The Strategy team works closely with the executive management team, business units, and strategic partners to identify and secure commercial opportunities. The position will report to Vice President, Head of Strategy.
You’ll join a high-performing and dynamic team in Lisbon, Portugal office that is focused on positioning the company as the global leader in the emerging floating wind sector. We are seeking a skilled and driven professional to strengthen our team and lead Cost Estimation as we pursue our ambitious targets to develop and execute successful floating wind projects around the world.
- Responsible for the cost estimating infrastructure, including continuous improvement of processes and models to streamline estimating processes, control risk and uncertainty, and track costs/risks throughout the project lifecycle
- Prepare the Cost Estimate Plan for each project portfolio and interface with internal technical and commercial teams and external clients to define, maintain, and refine Project Assumptions Books throughout the lifecycle.
- Apply cost estimation methods to establish cost baselines for new projects and products; manage against targets, work with customers and supply chain to scrutinize projects for opportunities to optimize costs and reduce risk
- Work with technical team and suppliers to identify cost-out potentials in connection with standardization, modularization, and industrialization of fabricated parts, components, and services;
- Contribute to procurement process design and evaluation, spanning global and local suppliers; and tracking project portfolio to identify synergies in the supply chain that could lead to efficiencies across projects.
- Collaborate with technical teams to develop and refine physical models, assess innovation opportunities, and funnel technology roadmap into appropriate project opportunities
- Manage projects according to stage gates, tracking technical and commercial interfaces, adjusting costs forecasts, and providing early warning of potential over or under runs to help influence cost outcomes
- Track project performance, including change orders, deviations, and performance metrics compare to original estimates
- Prepare Cost Estimation Reports and Cost Performance Reports for management as appropriate
- Organize intra-company and customer workshops to present results, improve methods. disseminate findings, internalize learnings, and transfer experience to future projects
- Other functions as required under the Strategic Planning Area
Required Education: Bachelor’s degree in Engineering, Economics, Finance or a related field; Master’s degree or MBA preferred
Required Professional Experience: 5-10 years of professional experience, or education equivalent
- Several years of experience as a cost estimator with a keen interest to take on the challenge of building cost estimation infrastructure at a rapidly growing company with huge ambitions and a global scope
- Recent experience within a similar role from a manufacturing, EPCI, or utility environment; offshore wind or offshore O&G would be ideal but other industries such as aerospace, automotive etc. are also of interest
- Experience with the execution of offshore or civil engineering projects, knowledge of offshore engineering (wind, offshore oil & gas, etc.), and interest in building a global value chain
- Detailed understanding of cost estimation and cost control processes and procedures
- Demonstrated ability to plan, organize, direct, perform, review and present cost estimating information independently with minimum supervision using a high level professional judgement and knowledge
- Proficiency with statistical analysis, risk modeling, and financial valuation
- Keen interest in the financial impact of product design, as well the technicalities of the design to enable understanding between the cost estimation area and the engineering area
- Risk-aware but comfortable with uncertainty; ability to manage uncertainty while simultaneously driving aggressive cost reduction
- Advanced knowledge of Microsoft Office software including Excel, PowerPoint, and Word; Familiarity with programming (e.g., Matlab, Python) and database systems are advantages to bring cost estimation and uncertainty quantification capabilities to the next level.
- Excellent communication skills (both written and oral) in English;
- Systematic and detail-oriented approach to deliver high-quality cost estimates under pressure;
- Customer-minded and collaborative, with strong interpersonal skills to develop consensus and move the program forward, while ensuring that the unknowns are well known to all team members;
- Must be assertive in situations where cost/uncertainty estimates do not meet targets, which could jeopardize the viability of the project and product.
- Mastery of languages in any of our key markets (Portuguese, French, Japanese, Korean, Taiwanese) is a plus.
- Candidates must already have a work authorization that would permit them to work for in Portugal
- Comfort working in a highly international environment
- Willingness to travel abroad to support responsibilities
apply for this now
+44 141 559 6160