Battery Management Systems Design Engineer
Taylor Hopkinson are working with a specialist recreational marine business Our client provides general marine accessories (anchors, cleats, seating hardware) to sophisticated digital switching and Li-ion battery systems, selling directly to the world's largest boat/RV OEMs and also to retailers (Bass Pro Shops, Amazon, West Marine, Walmart).
We are seeking an engineer who can lead the design and development of High Voltage Battery Management Systems for a broad range of marine vehicles.
The successful candidate will have several years of experience with vehicle electrification in automotive, offroad or other mobile industries. This position represents a chance to define path the recreational marine industry will take for the development, integration, and validation of high voltage energy storage systems.
- Lead the design and integration of high voltage marine battery pack BMS (Battery Management Systems)
- Drive enhancements to SoC and SoH estimation algorithms to improve battery cycle life and the accuracy of customer feedback on remaining range
- Apply deep industry knowledge of the battery electronics supply chain to drive performance and cost improvements to marine battery pack systems
- Design and develop a marine battery BMS that meets the unique needs of the marine environment for recreational boating
- Coordinate with the marine battery charging systems development team to ensure compatibility
- Meet function safety requirements and verify compliance per ISO standards
- Define supplier requirements through battery pack and interface requirement documentation
- Help define the operating environment and ingress protection design methodologies for large format battery packs
- Understand and execute tradeoff studies between available technology solutions
- Support compliance and certification to applicable standards for marine energy storage systems
- Train, mentor and develop less experienced battery systems engineers
- Works with all engineering disciplines needed to develop system requirements and architectures and establishes systems capabilities and operational concepts
- Spans all phases of the product development cycle, from concept development and system architecture to product launch and field support
- Develop team capability to support future cost-effective electrification development
- BS in Electrical or Mechanical Engineering
- Strong knowledge of battery management components and systems to include contactors, cooling, sensors, etc.
- Five or more years in engineering related to energy storage systems
- Experience delivering electric vehicle projects to an OEM
- Experience in the areas of systems integration, product verification and validation of large, complex systems into a multi-national organization
- Competency in coordinating cross divisional activities
- An advanced degree in Electrical or Mechanical Engineering
- Experienced in the practical considerations of software design and architecture
- Simulation of electric power and energy storage systems using best practice industry tools
- Basic understanding of mechanical systems and their role in a battery pack and power distribution
- Ability to evaluate system architecture trade-offs
- Experience performing competitive analysis either internally or through 3rd party engineering firms
- Working knowledge of electrical and functional safety