BESS Technical Manager
Our client is a leading renewable energy fund investor of projects throughout Europe focusing on onshore wind, solar, BESS (short duration and long duration storage), offshore wind projects as well as emerging renewable, technologies. They acquire, develop, construct, and operate renewable energy and BESS assets across Europe.
Taylor Hopkinson is supporting them in the recruitment of a BESS Technical Manager to join a dynamic team. The candidate will be responsible for managing the BESS technical solution from acquisition, procurement, construction through to operations of BESS projects in Europe.
The BESS Technical Manager will be responsible for supporting technical due diligence of BESS projects, preparing specification for BESS Tenders, procurement of BESS technology and associated balance of plant, supporting construction program managers on the build out of the asset.
Reporting to: Associate Director, Construction
Department: Asset Management
Job Location: UK or Ireland, remote with visits to sites.
Travel Required: Occasional site visits throughout Europe. Willingness to travel within Europe, to visit prospective and active job sites.
- Define short duration and long duration BESS strategy for the company along with the senior investment lead and head of asset management.
- Technical Leadership: Lead and oversee BESS technical expertise including design, integration, and optimization of battery energy storage projects initially in UK, Nordics and Ireland. In the future across Europe
- Conduct and support acquisition due diligence of BESS projects
- Support Investment team in preparation of investment committee papers for acquisition.
- Collaborate with teams to define project requirements and objectives and coordinate with cross-discipline team members to ensure successful acquisition, design, procurement and construction of an energy storage system on time and on budget.
- Co-ordinate the provision of BESS Technical due diligence information to the investment team, highlighting potential risks and opportunities prior to acquisition.
- Preparation of project CAPEX and OPEX budgets including coordination of final reviews with senior managers within the Asset Management team
- BESS Procurement- Equipment supply, EPC and/or procurement of BESS projects and support to construction teams in administering contracts during construction.
- Prepare and review technical documentation, including specifications, engineering drawings, and system manuals.
- Maintain accurate records of design decisions and project and system modifications and optimizations.
- Provide technical expertise in battery energy storage system design and integration.
- Project Planning and Execution: Support the Construction Program Manager on project planning and lead the technical aspects of energy storage projects from conception to completion. Collaborate with external engineering teams to design and develop energy storage systems that meet project objectives and comply with relevant regulations.
- Ensure compliance with local regulations and safety standards.
- Liaise with authorities, utilities, and stakeholders for permits and approvals.
- Stay update on SDES and LDES battery technologies, industry trends, best practices related to energy storage and grid integration advancements.
- Lessons learned - Conducting post-project evaluation and identifying successful and unsuccessful project elements.
- Support hand-over of projects from construction or operations team within Asset Management.
- Site Visits to BESS development, construction, and operational projects
- Support business with Long Duration Energy Storage development strategy and identification and selection of suitable technology for LDES
EDUCATION / SKILLS / EXPERIENCE
- Minimum University Bachelor's degree (Level 8) in an Electrical engineering discipline (or equivalent) preferred.
- 7+ years of relevant experience in battery energy storage systems, renewable energy.
- Strong knowledge of energy market, grid systems, and regulations.
- Experience as a construction project manager is helpful.
- Track record of successful management of battery energy storage projects.
- Strong knowledge of the Microsoft Office suite of software including Outlook, MS Project, SharePoint, Word, Excel, PowerPoint.
- Clear and articulate communications skills (both written and verbal) with good presentation skills.
- Exceptional relationship development and influencing skills at a senior level quickly building rapport with multiple stakeholders.
- Proven leadership abilities and team motivation skills, self-starter, demonstrates a proactive and forward-thinking approach, delivers on commitments, takes accountability and ownership.
- Strong team player, shares knowledge and collaborates easily with all internal and external stakeholders.
- Problem-solving abilities in complex situations.
- Fluency in English required. Fluency in other European languages will be an advantage.