Cables Technical Lead
Job ID 17609
Taylor Hopkinson has been exclusively retained to build out a project team who will develop and execute Scotwind projects for a new offshore wind consortium.
The Cables Technical Lead will be the technical focal point managing all aspects of offshore and onshore HV cables and systems design. The role will be responsible for managing all related cables activities from FEED through to installation covering feasibility, tendering, contract management, planning and execution.
This is a permanent role based in Scotland.
- Providing engineering support to offshore wind site selection and participation in technical meetings.
- Focus on floating offshore wind projects and commercialisation for floating offshore wind projects.
- Conceptual design of offshore wind parks and transmission assets.
- Procurement of front-end civil engineering (such as geotechnical investigations, met ocean studies, foundation designs and cable routing).
- Translating engineering issues in CAPEX and OPEX assumptions.
- Technical engagement with external consultants, contractors, independent engineers, lenders engineers, utility and grid companies as required.
- Liaison with the various multi-disciplinary teams working on projects.
- Input into technical elements of Employer's Requirements for EPC and Consultant contracts.
- Producing technical reports for senior management.
- Detailed due diligence review of projects.
- Inspect new project sites and attend seminars and meetings as required.
- Ensuring engineering activities are carried out to the highest quality standards, and in accordance with the relevant health and safety regulations.
- Evaluation of new products, concepts, and technologies from vendors.
- Degree of relevant equivalent in electrical engineering or related subject.
- Previous experience as a cable engineer with HVAC experience in offshore wind and onshore project development and construction.
- Understanding of IEC/CIGRE onshore and offshore standards in relation to HV cable systems and applicable ENA standards.
- Understanding of software packages such as ORCAFLEX, CYMCAP, COMSOL.
- Demonstrable experience of applying CDM to projects during development and construction and throughout the design process.
- A good understanding of required Pre-Qualifcation/Type Testing requirements for HV cable systems (in accessories).
- Experience working within a multi-disciplinary team and ability to communicate complex cable engineering matters to others with less knowledge of the subject matter.
- Detail oriented and systematic approach to design.
- Advanced knowledge of Microsoft Office software including Excel, Power Point and Word.
- Familiarity with design programs and database systems is advantageous.
- Exceptional written communication and presentation skills.
- Willingness to travel on a regular basis, especially within the UK.
- Flexible, dynamic, willing to learn and educate others in electrical cable engineering.