Director, District Heating
Distributed Energy,Transmission & Distribution
A very exciting opportunity to lead a new venture in partnership with Bristol City Council and Ameresco, to deliver a fossil free heat business for the people, businesses and community.
Following other successful district heating ventures in the UK and across Europe, the role of Director of Bristol will be our clients representative leading the project in Bristol. You will be responsible for building strong relationships with clients and partners, leading development and implementation of the business strategy and reporting into the Managing Director of the UK Heat business.
Our client has been selected to deliver the district heating network over the next 20 years and you will be able to join at the very start of the journey, helping to shape the success. With full responsibility over the P&L, you will inherit a strong team that is currently negotiating the terms of the agreements governing this ground-breaking partnership. This is a hybrid role with some office time required throughout the week in the Bristol office.
Key Responsibilities / Duties
- Shape and set the strategy and business plan of Bristol Heat Networks through the Company's business planning processes.
- Oversee the integration of the two businesses over the first year - ensuring systems, processes and people items are scoped out, critical path-planned and executed to plan.
- Manage a team of people (some directly, and some indirectly through matrix structure) which delivers the business plan and manages the transition and integration process.
- Oversee the pipeline of projects and ensure they are resourced and prioritised effectively and managed through appropriate governance.
- Run the P&L including accountability for budgeting, forecasting and management of spend
- Set KPI and Objectives & Key Results (performance) plans for the business and manage to success
- Build the reputation of the Company within the city by speaking at events, engaging with stakeholders and being visible in the market.
Knowledge and Skills
- Demonstrated program management, consulting, process flow development and facilitation
- Exhibit executive presence and possess strong organizational and operational
- Ability to lead, manage and deliver people, projects, and results directly and through others, both within Company and Joint Venture (JV) structures
- Stakeholder management, influencing and negotiation skills, evidenced through experience of working within complex joint venture structures and a clear understanding of the JV requirements / obligations
- Understanding of UK energy and property markets particularly focusing on the drivers for low carbon energy
- Understanding of the techno-economic fundamentals of district heating and the distributed energy sector and proven experience at working across engineering, construction, operation, and commercial functions to understand and manage risk.
- Strong people manager with experience leading teams and developing people.
Qualifications and Experience
- Minimum 10 years of relevant proven experience within development of energy or infrastructure projects preferably within district heating
- Proven experience in business development, strategy, acquisitions - with a good understanding of risk management
- Experience in working with executives to deliver projects and targets from internal and external organizations
- Managing projects to strict and challenging deadlines
- Leading teams in a matrix-structured environment
Our client is one of Europe's largest producers and retailers of electricity and heat. with approximately 19,000 employees. For more than 100 years they, have electrified industries, supplied energy to people's homes and modernised our way of living through innovation and cooperation They are determined to enable fossil-free living within one generation.