Director, Energy Storage
Opportunity for an experienced leadership professional and subject matter expert to join a multidisciplinary technical advisory firm as the Director of its growing Energy Storage division.
The Director, Energy Storage will lead the practice and team within it, with holistic participation in conducting and driving new business across Owner's and Independent Engineering practices.
This a hybrid role which can be based anywhere in the United States and will report to the MD of the business.
- Partner closely with the Managing Director to discuss, develop, and implement the strategy for growth of the energy storage practice
- Hire, develop, and manage a growing team of professionals dedicated to working on energy storage projects
- Drive new business opportunities by attending conferences, contacting and/or visiting clients, and developing project proposals
- Develop new tools to improve work-flows and improve products and services offered
- Review electrical and civil design documents to verify project design in accordance with industry standards
- Confirm specifications and certifications of major equipment
- Review interconnection documents such as service agreements, studies etc.
- Maintain strong relationships with battery manufacturers, integrators, and control system providers
- Develop and maintain energy storage models using various software tools, in addition to MS Excel and Python
- Review and scrutinise underlying performance as predicted from ESS financial models
- Review electrical designs of standalone and integrated storage projects for model input purposes
- Visit project sites to verify construction progress or completion
- Extensive professional experience in the US energy storage industry
- Leadership experience with an energy storage division/company
- Strong communication skills, both written and verbally, including in presentation delivery
- Strong knowledge of equipment fundamentals, including inverters, transformers, battery racking systems, control systems/SCADA, metering, fire protection and HVAC systems
- Knowledge of energy storage paired with PV and/or wind projects
- Willingness and ability to travel as required (up to 25% of the time)
- Experience of energy storage modeling software applications
- Direct experience with NiCad, lithium ion, lead acid and flow batteries is highly desirable
- Excellent analytical skills
- Experience with business development within the renewable energy industry, including knowledge of key target clients