Director of Permitting
Taylor Hopkinson is working for an offshore wind farm owner based in the US. They are looking to appoint a Director of Permitting to support and guide projects across the Offshore North America region.
The Director of Permitting will plan and coordinate efficient environmental and regulatory review and permitting of projects, including preparing applications to regulatory and other agencies. This position will require frequent travel.
- Coordinate and manage preparation of local, state, and federal regulatory, siting, and environmental approvals for projects in accordance with time lines and within budget.
- Assist in developing the environmental permitting and mitigation strategies for offshore wind projects from initial design and permitting phase through construction, operations, and decommissioning.
- Support the scoping, preparation, and execution of biological, geological, and other scientific studies; review reports and documentation prepared by subject matter experts.
- Manage external consultants undertaking surveys and studies to support the permitting and data collection processes. Coordinate environmental monitoring and mitigation techniques to ensure consistent documentation and compliance with environmental requirements of permits/licenses.
- Prepare applications to federal, tribal, state, and local agencies, and obtain necessary approvals for site investigation surveys and planning for surveys to comply with regulatory requirements.
- Assist in maintaining permit compliance of projects, and ensure compliance with all local, state, and federal rules and regulations.
- Represent the company as the technical expert on environmental, siting, and permitting matters at public meetings, workshops, and meetings with federal, tribal, state, and local agencies, as well as other stakeholders including commercial and recreational fishermen and habitat and environmental experts.
- Cooperate with wildlife, land use, and other regulatory agencies to safeguard environmental protection and to achieve permit conditions in consistency with project goals, schedules, and budgets.
- Bachelor's degree in biology, environmental studies, civil or environmental engineering, or equivalent.
- Experience in environmental permitting, ideally in the development of offshore wind projects, preferred, or other offshore or energy projects.
- Experience in the development of offshore wind projects, particularly in offshore environmental permitting regulations for the U.S.
- Strong knowledge of US regulations and policies, as well as relationships with decision-makers, policymakers, and state/federal authorities Experience and knowledge of onshore and offshore environmental permitting regulations and direct experience working with federal and state regulatory agencies.
- Ability to manage consultants and contractors to ensure successful and timely delivery of work packages.
- Demonstrated experience of working collaboratively with stakeholders, excellent interpersonal skills, and the ability to inspire in a high-pressure environment.
- Experience presenting before agencies, as well as stakeholder meetings and public hearings.
- Trustworthy and impactful communicator with the ability to maintain detailed dialogue, internally and externally as well as the ability to proactively manage risks and adapt in a changing environment.