Electrical Systems Manager
Opportunity to join a global offshore wind developer as an Electrical Systems Manager for an Offshore Wind Farm. This role will serve as the focal point for electrical engineering, as well as manage and provide technical oversight for the development and design of the HVAC Transmission Systems and balance of plant.
* This candidate can be based in Boston, MA, or California.
* Responsible for managing the technical development and engineering design of the HVAC transmission system and balance of plant including conceptual design, Pre-FEED, FEED, installation, and commissioning, electrical system design, balance of plant, and offer inputs to supply chain alternatives.
* Lead power system studies to optimize the design of cable sizing (inter array/export/interconnection), transformers, reactive compensation, harmonic filters, onshore and offshore HVAC transmission, voltage control mechanisms, breaker and protection design, power plant controller, station service load, substation grounding/earthing, lightning arrestors, and other electrical system elements.
* Lead the verification of project design and performance compliance with regulations and standards including design requirements of Transmission Owner (TO), Operational requirements of the Regional Transmission Operator (RTO), compliance with relevant NERC, IEEE, and other applicable standards.
* Lead the development of detailed equipment parameters and performance specifications needed for OEM engagement and perform cost benefit analysis of various recommended design elements.
* Participate in the required onshore regulatory siting, permit filings and other regulatory filings.
* Support necessary technical details related to transmission, queue studies and negotiations with CAISO and PG&E.
* Ensures that all aspects of the electrical system are documented and completed in accordance with
company policies and all regulations and laws.
* Up to 2 direct/indirect staff, potential for more as project matures.
* Up to 20%, domestically and internationally, by plane, car and/or train, including at short notice.
* Proven track record of engineering management, project management and/or delivery of electrical system projects (substations and transmission) including design, construction, and commissioning.
* Experience in offshore wind industry or similar that requires technical understanding of collector systems, submarine cables, and/or onshore/offshore transmission.
* Ability to quickly understand the basics of a variety of subjects relating to offshore wind projects, including resource studies, environmental and cultural studies, transmission regulation, public relations, public policy, sales, and civil and electrical engineering.
* Knowledge of early-stage design processes of offshore wind farms and associated transmission assets; Construction methods and Operations and Maintenance (O&M) along with associated timescales will be considered a plus.
* Familiarity with power flow simulation software including PSSE/PSLF and PSCAD will be considered a plus.
* An ability to work to tight schedules, manage work efficiently, be able to work closely within project teams, and to interact with external consultants confidently.
* PG&E experience preferred with ability to interpret PG&E and CAISO requirements and grid codes; Understanding of relevant IEEE, NERC, CAISO Tariff, and other regional standards will be considered a plus.
* Ability to work at office 50% of time.
* Fluent in English.
* Demonstrated ability to manage multiple priorities and successfully complete them within specified timeframes.
* Demonstrated ability to communicate and work cooperatively with multidisciplinary project teams and subcontractors.
* Demonstrated ability to lead personnel from diverse groups working toward a common objective or project.
* Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively with management and other parts of the project.
* Strong commitment and proven leadership skills.
* Ability to build a high performing and motivated team.
* Outstanding communication, diplomatic, networking, influencing and conflict solving skills.
* Ability to take initiative and highly result oriented.
* Strong sense of values and ethics, as well as confidentiality when dealing with sensitive information.
* Ability to thrive within and contribute to a team culture that is collaborative, entrepreneurial, mutually supportive, and dedicated to producing highest quality work products, and shared success.
* Ability to foster the development of a team culture that values perspectives and experiences of people from different backgrounds to drive better decisions and improved business results.
* Culturally aware with a high level of emotional intelligence to work effectively with a diverse range of internal and external stakeholders.
* Proven ability to manage ambiguity and shape processes and systems.
* Proactive approach to optimizations and improvements.
* A pro-active approach to project and contract management in order to identify risks and opportunities early and initiate appropriate actions.
* Driven by an adventurous spirit and the opportunity to be at the forefront of an emerging market.
Physical Demands and Working Conditions:
* Ability to stand and sit for 8 or more hours when in an office environment.
* Ability to speak, read, and write English proficiently and deliver a variety of instructions furnished in written, verbal, diagram, or schedule form. Ability to read, write, and speak other languages will be a plus.
* Ability to interpret and follow a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form.