Geotechnical Engineer (Numerical Modelling Specialist)
As a Geotechnical you will take on a key role in the development and integration of numerical modelling in our client’s design processes.
- Lead the development of the numerical modelling strategy and help develop competences within the Geotechnical Engineering department in relation to advanced geotechnical foundation design.
- Develop and maintain technical specifications and documentation of the geotechnical numerical tools in the department.
- Develop in-house design tools capable of solving complex geotechnical problems related to detailed foundation design of offshore structures (e.g. monopiles, jacket piles, suction buckets, and gravity-based structures).
- Use purpose-built or commercially available numerical modelling software for analysis of complex soil-structure interaction problems.
- Prepare detailed geotechnical reports and memoranda with the aim of having geotechnical parameters and design methods approved by a Certification Body.
- Closely collaborate with people from different engineering disciplines within the Foundations group, e.g. structural, loads and installation departments, with the goal of executing state-of-the-art foundation design and collaboratively developing new foundation solutions.
As part of the role, you willl be the geotechnical numerical expert on an array of projects related to offshore geotechnical engineering, focusing on large offshore wind farm developments, R&D projects (in collaboration with both internal and external parties) and in-house software development. You will take ownership of the geotechnical numerical development along with several complex tasks and will be expected to engage in technical discussions and challenge the status quo.
- Have a thorough understanding of different numerical modelling methods with emphasis on the fundamentals of the Finite Element theory and its applicability in geotechnical engineering, including nonlinear FE analysis,
- Have in-depth knowledge of soil mechanics and appreciation of advanced constitutive models (i.e. advantages, limitations and interpretation of laboratory tests to derive relevant material model inputs) and their area of applicability.
- Have experience with programming software packages, e.g. MATLAB, PYTHON, etc.
- Have substantial experience within the field of geotechnical engineering, preferably offshore.
- Hold an MSc or PhD degree in civil/geotechnical engineering, with proven background in soil/rock mechanics and/or foundation engineering.
- Possess good interpersonal and communication skills and speak and write English fluently.
Moreover, you have a positive, open-minded and result-oriented approach to your work and a personal drive to proactively suggest improvements within your area of responsibility.
Additionally, you’re able to work independently but also thrive on working closely together with your colleagues and business partners in a multicultural international environment.
Previous experience with implementation and validation of constitutive models as well as with modelling dynamic or seismic loading is desirable.