Head of Development – Canada
Head of Development position working for an ambitious, international developer which has just acquired a new portfolio of solar projects in Canada.
The Head of Development will be responsible for project development activities in North America (with a major focus on Canada and the US) and at the forefront of making investments in that market; managing the local development team, reporting progress to, and supporting the Regional Managing Director - North America and the Country Manager (Canada) in setting the overall development strategy for Canada, and the North America region
This is a full-time, permanent staff position based in Calgary.
- Responsible for managing project development activities in the country and region and at the forefront of making investments in that market; managing the local development team and reporting progress.
- Leading the Canada team in the acquisition and/or development of greenfield, brownfield (partially developed), ready-to-build, and operating utility-scale solar PV - Wind - Storage - Other projects in Canada; supporting as needed in similar processes in the rest of the North America region (US and Mexico).
- Leading the management of transactions through their full life-cycle: from origination, financial modeling, due-diligence, structuring, development, financing and executing investments.
- Full project ownership, along with his team, in terms of financial modeling, asset information collection, Q&A, due diligence process, project management, and full accountability
- Analyzing and structuring transactions, leading his team and providing guidance in negotiations with external parties (developers, PPA off-takers, co-investors, lenders, and government stakeholders) and internal stakeholders (primarily with EPC and O&M, Project Finance, and Treasury/Accounting teams)
- Coordinating with developers and other third parties in project/asset information collection, Q&A, due diligence
- Preparing pitch books / investment memoranda and presenting the transaction's investment thesis/rationale to the Regional Managing Director - North America and/or the Country Manager (Canada) and internal investment and risk committees
- Co-ordinate with the key stakeholders to seek and validate various project assumptions including technical, financial, taxation and structuring assumptions.
- Participate in project handoffs once fully developed and permitted to construction/EPC management team
- Participate in project financings answering relevant diligence questions and providing required documents
- Develop and maintain insights on the local renewable energy markets (regulations, trends, key players)
- Leading his team and supervising (and providing guidance and support) in the negotiation and preparation of project documentation such as acquisition documents, off-take agreements, shareholder agreements and project financing documents, among others.
- Interacting and coordinating with the various counterparties participating in the project's life-cycle, including developers, external advisors (legal, technical, and market consultants), among others.
- Once the investment has been made, supporting delivery of the asset, through construction, start of operations and eventual divestment; supporting and coordinating with the various internal teams (EPC and O&M, Asset Management, Project Finance, Treasury/Accounting, etc.) and external advisors in order to ensure the proper completion of the project.
- Commercially and business oriented with passion for renewable energy
- Motivated & self-starter; adept at analyzing and distilling issues/problems quickly and providing creative solutions; capable of managing adversity and visualizing opportunities where others see difficulties.
- Accountable for managing, leading, and supervising the activities of the Canada Project Development Managers, the Project Development Analysts, and their respective teams in order to achieve the specific goals set by the Regional Managing Director - North America and/or the Country Manager (Canada)
- Provide to the Regional Managing Director - North America and/or the Country Manager (Canada) with a clear Project Development and business development plan
- Develop and implement a 3-5 year strategy and business plan for Development activities in Canada
- Oversee the expansion and growth within the Alberta (AESO), other Canada, and other North American markets
- Significant Renewable Energy Business in a similar senior management capacity, with proven leadership and management experience and successful track record, preferably in a project development and/or acquisitions/investments role.
- Strong exposure to electricity, power & energy, renewable energy is preferred.
- Working experience in Canada and/or US and/or other markets in the Americas is preferred.
- Working in a multinational environment, leading teams, and comfortable and experienced in coordinating with colleagues on a global level and different time zones.
- Proven ability to manage multiple projects and priorities in a fast paced environment.
- Creative, enthusiastic, flexible and capable of fostering and thriving in an inclusive work environment.
- Bachelors Degree in Engineering / Economics / Business or related fields. MBA or master's degree in a numerate discipline would be a plus.
- Strong knowledge of North American energy markets. In particular, Canadian and US renewable energy markets
- Extensive knowledge of utility-scale, greenfield solar/wind project development, energy storage facility development, utilities, interconnection, engineering, permitting, and contracting
- Track record of originating, structuring, negotiating, and executing utility-scale renewable energy (preferably solar PV) acquisition transactions and/or similar energy investments in Canada and/or the North America market
- Track record in developing "greenfield" and "brownfield" renewable energy (preferably solar PV) projects
- Strong knowledge of country specific project development requirements / regulations and planning processes
- Ability to maintain discipline and focus on development and acquisition strategies; filter and pursue only value accretive opportunities.
- Ability to identify, quantify, and mitigate risks; empower team to realize opportunities.
- Excellent organizational skills, attention to detail and ability to meet deadlines
- Extensive personal network in the Alberta (AESO), other Canada, and other markets in the North America region renewable energy markets
- Proven ability to build relationships with a broad range of stakeholders in multiple countries and at all levels
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- The successful candidate must be a self starter with a proven track record of working both autonomously and as leader and part of a team
- Diligent, execution-focused, ability to "think outside the box", humble leadership, team-player, and results-oriented
- Business-oriented, strong leadership, and with a passion for renewable energy
- Motivated & self-starter. Self-reliant and capable of operating with minimum supervision.
- Represent the company at industry events, conferences, and meetings to promote the company's capabilities and develop new business relationships.
- Stay up-to-date on industry trends, market dynamics, and regulatory changes in the renewable energy sector to inform strategic decision-making.
- Fluent in English. Working knowledge of Spanish and/or French is a plus.