Head of Innovation
Floating Wind Farm
Republic of Ireland
International renewable energy developer seeking a Head of Innovation to identify and apply new energy technologies that will yield long term competitive advantage. The role is based in Dublin.
The Head of Innovation will be responsible for outlining the company's technological vision for the identification, development and application of technologies in support of the company's strategic objectives.
You will report directly to the Group COO and will be both a technology and business expert, making decisions that will impact the current and future direction and success of the company.
This is a techno-commercial role for an individual who is comfortable analysing how a particular technology or innovation can be applied to a target market and who has the capability to create business models to represent this commercially. You will take a view for the business on the commercialisation path for technologies and innovations including the cost reduction path and the commercial and technology readiness levels.
- Develop technology aspects of the company's strategy to ensure alignment with its business goals.
- Predict future technology trends and make recommendations to the board and Leadership Team and about which technologies are most likely to generate the highest rate of return.
- Stay on top of technology trends and developments relevant to renewable energy development, construction, generation and operations, grid and power markets including energy sales and trading.
- In particular you will follow the development of the following technologies: floating solar, floating wind, battery and energy storage (BES) technologies, hybrid generation and storage solutions, demand and supply side management, Big Data, The Internet of Things, energy sales and trading platforms.
- Taking floating solar as an example: investigate and take a position on the options for panels, inverters, cables, installation techniques, platforms, grid connection, maintenance, condition monitoring and work closely with the commercial team to build a financial model and business case.
- Follow the development of technologies and services related to e-Vehicles and charging stations where renewable energies can provide complementary synergies.
- Evaluate technology and makes recommendations on technological solutions and applications including keeping track of the latest developments in other sustainable generation technologies (i.e. geothermal).
- The candidate must be able to benchmark technologies against both TRL and CRL (Technology and Commercial Readiness Levels) scales and communicate the path to full commercialisation concisely.
- Promote cost driven solutions to ensure competitiveness in the different markets. Identify innovations which can demonstrate a cost reduction path and have working knowledge of cost reduction strategies.
- Identify trends based on country or regional specific requirements based on feedback from the regions.
- Evaluate options to optimise and improve the operational and financial performance of operating assets.
- Keep up to date with the various innovation funds / grants available and help the company to capitalise.
- Be the chief entrepreneur inspiring colleagues to be innovative and creative and to generate new ideas. Help colleagues shape these ideas into high-potential innovations, projects, products, services systems through teamwork and by providing access to corporate resources.
- Educate the Board and Leadership Team on changes to existing technology and the status of new technologies that could impact business.
- Communicate the technology strategy to trade media, partners and investors.
- Identify and forge strategic partnerships to jointly work on cutting edge technologies.
- Establish and oversee IP capture and protection strategy and patent process.
- Represent the company: at conferences, with government, in industry groups and at technical meetings.
- Establish Centres of Competence for "Solar PV" and "Batteries and Storage (BESS)".
- Support the establishment of a Centre of Competence for "Energy Solutions" in Dublin.
- The successful applicant will have a degree in engineering or science and preferably a Master's degree.
- An effective communicator who will be able to work across diverse geographical locations.
- Proven experience leading innovation or similar technology related leadership role; Strategic thinking.
- 12 years working in innovation and technology and knowledge of technological trends to build strategy.
- 8 years managerial experience with extensive industry knowledge and an eye towards the future.
- A self-starter with a passion for the renewable energy industry, desire for success and the willingness to challenge the status quo in order to maximise assets' ROI safely following best practise guidelines.
- Passion: mobilises others to fulfil the vision; Provides vision and inspiration to peers and subordinates.