HSE Advisor, Solar & Storage EPC
Our client is an international solar and storage IPP and service provider. The HSE EPC Advisor role, supported by the UK HSE Manager, will be the core focus for HSE advice and support for our client's Engineer Procure Construct (EPC) team (CDM Principal Contractor and Client) within the United Kingdom, advising the team on project HSE related issues, improving the buildability, and ensuring safe site setup and construction of renewable power generation sites.
The HSE Advisor will:
- Primarily support the EPC Business Line (construction site management teams) throughout the project lifecycle; from outline from design into the Pre-Construction Phase, throughout the Design and Build Construction Phase, into Testing and Commissioning, Practical Completion (Handover), and throughout the Defects period.
- Work in conjunction with the wider UK team to support our designers, engineers, site and project managers, business managers and Directors.
- Liaise with and coordinate project deliverables from HSE supply chain partners, including consultants and resource providers.
- Liaise with the Operations & Maintenance Services team within the UK (and other business functions) during the design and build phases to ensure that our power generation assets are safe, fit for purpose and built to the highest standards to assurance the very best longevity for our assets.
- Contribute to the success of the regional business and the global group by coaching and mentoring personnel in risk-based decision making, encouraging a positive behavioural health, safety and environment culture.
- Promote compliance with our client's Global Minimum HSE Requirements and ensure local regional regulatory compliance.
- Manage and coordinate HSE supply chain resources and equipment required for project deployment across the UK project portfolio (supported by HSE Manager).
- Ensure timely reporting of monthly project data for statistical analysis across the UK.
- Conduct regular HSE compliance inspections and audits of internal and external EPC (construction) sites, make recommendations for continual improvement, record preventative and corrective actions.
- Update and manage the corrective actions register aiming for 100% actions closed.
- Organise and facilitate Hazard Identification and Risk Assessment workshops with personnel to assist in ongoing risk-based management of projects, operations, activities, and tasks.
- Support and from time to time directly review internal and external Risk Assessments and Method Statements to ensure that our personnel and suppliers establish and maintain safe systems of working.
- Conduct regular reviews of Emergency Response Plans and,
- Organise and facilitate regular safety exercises and drills at company operated sites to ensure procedural effectiveness, raise employee awareness and assure regulatory compliance.
- Implement our client's Contractor Management and Evaluation system.
- Assess potential suppliers against our client's and UK standards to assess their competence for inclusion within our EPC Supply Chain.
- Conduct / Participate in Contractor Kick-Off meetings in conjunction with the Project and Site Managers.
- Conduct internal (and external /3rd party) ISO style Safety Management System Audits and reviews/assessments aligned to ISO 19011 for Supplier and Service providers as required.
- Liaise with Supply Chain HSE practitioners to share knowledge, incidents, and collect and collate incident statistics.
- Review and update existing Policies, Operating Procedures, and associated documentation to ensure continual improvement within the organisation, on sites and ensure consistent HSE messages are available to the workforce.
- Develop and deliver HSE training (virtually and in-person) to ensure that all personnel are aware and understand company standards and rules. Conduct Safety Stand-down sessions, Toolbox Talks, HSE Interventions.
- Contribute to the ongoing maintenance and improvement of the Integrated Management System, maintaining certification to ISO 9001 (QMS), 45001 (occupational H&S) and 14001 (environmental management).
- Attend and coordinate regular HSE meetings (virtual and in-person), collaborate and share findings with the HSE team site-based, regionally, and globally.
- Incident Management:
- Conduct incident investigations and information gathering (within the post holder's competence) as required.
- Investigate, report, and manage incidents, contributing towards the reduction of HSE incidents and accidents, working towards our zero-accident goal.
- Assist in the management of the Company's Non-Conformance Reporting processes relating to all HSE activities including NCRs, stakeholder complaints, regulatory interventions, and business improvements.
- Develop and deliver briefings, toolbox talks and in-house training to support safe working practices and environments as required.
Technical Skills Required:
- Professionally qualified, such as the Diploma or Higher in Health Safety and Environmental Management, National Examination Board of Occupational Safety and Health (NEBOSH) Diploma, NEBOSH Construction Certificate, NEBOSH General Certificate, or suitable equivalent.
- Fluent with UK Construction Health and Safety Regulations, including the Construction (Design and Management) Regulations.
- Experience and knowledge of ISO 9001, 14001 and or 45001 (training will be given)
- Professionally affiliated, preferably with the Institute of Occupational Safety and Health (IOSH) or working towards it.
- Ideally at least 3 years + experience within either; construction, engineering, mechanical and electrical engineering, power distribution, Renewable energy sectors, Oil & Gas. Electrical Safety knowledge would be a distinct advantage.
- Relevant experience in a similar role within the sector
- Fluent speaking and written English language (mandatory).
- Right to Work within the United Kingdom
- Proficient in the use of MS Office.
Soft Skills Required:
- Ability to plan and organise activities.
- Well-organised and reliable
- Robust and resilient
- Good time-management skills
- Resilient and flexible
- Critical thinker and problem-solver
- Excellent communication skills, both oral and written