Interconnection Manager – Offshore Wind
Established offshore wind developer seeking an Interconnection Manager to join their team. The Interconnection Manager will be responsible for leading the Grid Interconnection Processes as well as Grid Code Compliance for the company's offshore wind farms in the US. As part of this role, it is expected the candidate will have appropriate engagement with key stakeholders such as the ISOs/RTOs, local TOs or any other regulatory body relevant to the grid connection and transmission assets. Further to this, the Grid Connection Manager may provide support to other related areas to ensure appropriate understanding of grid connection requirements. This role would be based out of Boston.
- Overall accountability for the delivery of the grid connection package, including the grid connection agreement and grid code compliance, as well as the interaction with the ISO and local TO.
- Ensure an overarching strategy is established for achieving the grid connection of the offshore wind farm(s) on time according to the project requirements.
- Ensure that key external stakeholder relationships are managed appropriately, including active engagement with the ISOs and the local TOs.
- Represent the company in relevant industry working groups in the US.
- Lead the grid connection activities and ensure timely delivery of information required.
- Develop Capex and Opex budgets for the grid connection package in support of the overall project.
- Provide oversight/supervision of the management of all external contracts when required.
- Monitor development of grid connection requirements as well as potential grid connection points in areas of interest for the company.
- Responsible for preparing, elaborating and providing all the specifications and technical documentation to allow the project to apply for Grid Connection.
- Provides technical support to other areas of the technical department and other departments as necessary across the project lifecycle to ensure the successful completion of the project; Ensure the correct coordination of interfaces with other Project working packages, guaranteeing the quality of the input/output on time, ensuring the correct management of package and project documentation is performed
- Maintain an effective and systematic planning and control of project activities regarding grid connection and grid code compliance. Ensuring control of the budget, deadlines and quality aspect, as well as assessment of contractors/subcontractors involved in the project; Produce monthly reports as necessary during the course of the project.
- A minimum of 5 years' experience working with interconnection requests and process for renewable energy generators is required; experience can be from an ISO/TO, a developer or a consultancy company.
- Master or PhD Degree in Electrical Engineering
- Excellent understanding of all phases of an interconnection process for ISOs/RTOs/TOs is required.
- Ability to manage technical consultants and review power system modelling outputs and reports is required. Experience of simulation tools like PSSe, PSCAD and/or Power Factory is a plus.
- Ability to assess project needs and grid connection requirements/conditions to negotiate the technical and commercial aspects of the interconnection agreement with the ISO/RTO.
- Experience of engaging with regulatory bodies and industry trade bodies through participation in working groups (or similar) is desirable.
- Knowledge of electrical system design/study/analysis processes and techniques is essential.
- Specific knowledge of the standards associated with electrical system design and grid connection of renewable energy generators in the US is required.
- Knowledge of the standards and regulations related to any tests of renewable energy generators to connect to the grid.
- Ability to communicate across all levels of the project team and manage the relationship with external stakeholders.
- Proactive to identify issues related to grid connection, communicate to the wider project team and resolve when possible.
- A proactive approach to identify grid connection opportunity in new projects.
- Candidates need to be fluent in English both spoken and written.