Lead Civil / Structural Engineer
Job ID 10848
Republic of Ireland
Republic of Ireland
Opportunity for a Lead Structural Engineer for an offshore wind farm project in Ireland.
- Consistency in approach in the civil / structural aspects of the design for both onshore and offshore works;
- Acceptable quality in the outputs received from the Owner's Engineer and the Tier 1 contractors;
- Early identification of risks and opportunities through the life of the structures are identified and appropriately managed.
- The structural works envisaged in the project include the following items:
- Onshore: cable burial trenches, joint bays, temporary works, substations, O&M base;
- Offshore: turbine foundations, turbine towers, rotor nacelle assemblies and blades, offshore substations.
- Work closely with the Design Manager and Owner's Engineer to ensure appropriate design development work is undertaken and the consistency in approach to the design development of the offshore structures is adequate;
- Achieving a safe and commercially acceptable design that is efficient to construct, install and commission;
- Support the timely closure of queries from the independent certification body and the marine warranty surveyor;
- Support the Onshore package manager to support the identification and development of onshore cable routes and substation locations in line with the project HSE, quality, time and budget requirements;
- Work closely with the package managers to ensure that the development approach is adequately considered in the Tier 1 procurement activities;
- Ensure that safe by design principals are adopted in all design activities and that these are considered in all temporary design states;
- Actively communicate with the wider engineering team and the Owner's Engineer to proactively support the multi-discipline design development identifying interfaces, assumptions, risks, and opportunities in a timely and efficient manner;
- Provide leadership and guidance to a small team of structural engineers;
- Actively participate in design reviews, risk assessments, and design decisions;
- Support the development of an efficient handover of design and manufacturing records in a form that is useful for through life operation and maintenance. Associated with this is the development of a through life condition monitoring strategy;
- Detailed quality checks of all civil structural documents to be issued to third parties
- Significant experience of offshore structural engineering and design for fixed bottom offshore windfarms;
- Demonstrable experience of design development and successful certification of offshore structures to the applicable codes and standards;
- Degree qualified in a relevant engineering discipline;
- Demonstrable understanding of steel fabrication techniques and associate considerations for design;
- Demonstrable understanding of offshore transportation and installation techniques and associate considerations for design;
- Experience of onshore civil engineering and design works;
- Ability to identify practical solutions and constrain the extent of the engineering to achieve a design which is safe, commercially acceptable, and certifiable;
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills;
- Able to work under significant pressure to tight timescales.