Mechanical Engineer- Blades
Mechanical Engineer (Blades) will be working directly for one of the world's largest operators of onshore wind. This is a vital position to act as an expert with respect to wind turbine rotor blades (WTRB) and support the delivery of safe, efficient and reliable operation across the portfolio.
This is a full-time, permanent position ideally based in Edinburgh or Lisbon.
- Responsible for technical reviews of blade defects, including completing fitness for service assessments for defects where structural integrity may be affected, determining if continued operation is acceptable and the repairs required.
- Responsible for the ongoing development and implementation of a blade management software package.
- Develop and maintain blade repair maintenance contract appendices, which can be used to convey WTRB requirements during OEM maintenance contract discussions.
- Lead Root Cause Analysis studies on major structural wind turbine blade failures.
- Identify and assess relevant contractors and work with Procurement to negotiate scope of services and commercial terms.
- Play a key role in ensuring asset configuration control by conducting/assessing Engineering Change Requests.
- Develop and implement the wind turbine rotor blade monitoring strategy across the portfolio, ensuring the correct blade inspection type and inspection interval is in place for each wind farm.
- Responsible for the tendering, proposal review, tender award and ongoing management of the blade inspection and repairs contract(s).
- Responsible for the creation and management of the annual blade inspection and repair budget.
- Work with the Asset Integrity Engineer to develop management strategies for WTRB on wind turbines operating beyond their original design life.
- Develop and implement a lifecycle strategy for management of Leading Edge Erosion, working to reduce costs associated with efficiency losses and repairs.
- Build and maintain productive working relationships with stakeholders at all levels.
- The Mechanical Engineer will have a degree or equivalent along with substantial experience working within the Wind Industry in an Engineering role.
- In-depth knowledge of wind turbine rotor blade design, manufacture, inspection, maintenance and repair.
- Understanding of wind turbine rotor blade aerodynamics, including the methods used to design and validate aerofoil performance
- Experience of the use of Microsoft Office Suite, XFOIL and RFOIL aerofoil development software