Offshore Wind Grid Manager
Offshore Wind,Transmission & Distribution
Seeking an Offshore Wind Grid Manager to join one of the world's leading renewable energy companies as they develop offshore wind projects. The Offshore Wind Grid Manager will support the offshore team's drive to secure and deliver significant projects, both in the UK and Worldwide.
Primary responsibilities will include providing technical input to site selection, production of project specifications, managing consultants and contractors and providing input to contract documents for projects in all of the company's offshore jurisdictions. This person will play an important role in helping to understand and mitigate project and region-specific risks related to the planned grid interconnection, grid interconnection requirements and processes, and to accelerate and maximise value from the company's global project development pipeline.
The role will entail working primarily on development and pre-construction phase projects in new offshore markets, and will also include an element of construction and operational project phase support. This role may be based in the UK or Ireland.
- Lead project offshore grid network connection planning development and related regulatory body interaction activities for various new markets in cooperation with Grid, Engineering, and Development team members.
- Actively research regional grid network connection and regulatory framework requirements (e.g., regional Grid Codes) in new markets and deploy these in preliminary grid designs and technical discussions and summarise and share these in an effective manner to influence company strategy and project development plans.
- Actively participate in the constructability assessments of green-field and project/portfolio acquisition opportunities in new markets and propose early-stage grid connection strategies.
- Engage with internal technical teams and provide technical support to the project management teams to manage the distribution and transmission grid network
- Providing electrical engineering support to offshore wind site selection and participation in technical meetings.
- Conceptual design for offshore electrical systems for wind parks and transmission assets.
- Procurement of front-end electrical engineering (e.g. offshore substation, overall electrical systems, and all supporting designs).
- Manage the review of grid consultant reports from project studies, surveys, and assessments conducted in new markets, and feed findings back into the relevant designs, reports, due diligence papers, and others in cooperation with fellow team members.
- Provide preliminary grid and electrical conceptual designs in cooperation with fellow technical team members.
- Review technical grid designs and actively participate in the comments exchange during the project EPC/BOP/TSA contract tendering process run by the Procurement team.
- Translating engineering issues in CAPEX and OPEX assumptions.
- Technical engagement with external consultants, contractors, independent engineers, lenders engineers, utility and grid companies as required.
- Liaison with the various multi-disciplinary teams working on the company's projects.
- Input into technical elements of Employer's Requirements for EPC and Consultant contracts.
- Producing technical reports for senior management.
- Detailed due diligence review of projects in accordance with the company's global development standard.
- Inspect new project sites and to attend seminars and meetings as required.
- Ensuring engineering activities are carried out to the highest quality standards, and in accordance with the relevant health and safety regulations.
- Evaluation of new products, concepts and technologies from vendors.
- A minimum of 5 years of grid connection experience
- Offshore renewables or offshore energy projects desirable
- Experience in offshore wind electrical system designs and offshore installation procedures
- Knowledge of offshore substation designs and implications on substation foundation, array cable and turbine installation procedures
- Highly organised, commercially astute with an ability to build relationships across the company and with external partners
- Ability to translate engineering issues into CAPEX and OPEX assumptions
- Knowledge of the Offshore windfarm development and electrical system design process
- Understanding of wind turbine technology and the issues involved with grid connections
- Experience in the preparation of technical specifications and other technical documents
- Knowledge of Health and Safety legislation and in particular, Health and Safety issues offshore including CDM (2015).
- Experience in tender/bid evaluation
- Excellent verbal / written communication skills, including strong report writing skills
- Enjoys a challenge, and takes a positive, hands on, "can do" approach to all tasks
- Highly organised, commercially astute with an ability to build relationships across the company and with external partners, Be a good team player, with a positive outlook, be determined and flexible
- Have a primary degree in Electrical Engineering or other relevant discipline for offshore engineering.
- Highly motivated, dynamic, self starter with proven track record of delivery
- Flexibility in terms of working arrangements, international travel may be required as part of the job