Onshore Civil Engineer
Leading global renewable energy developer recruiting for a Civil Engineer to work on the civil construction elements of an offshore wind project.
This is a full-time, staff position based in Edinburgh.
The Onshore Civil Engineer will take a leading role in engineering and technical matters associated with the electrical transmission infrastructure for the project in order to ensure that input is provided and engineering work is managed as required from the development through to the operational phase.
The Onshore Civil Engineer will be specifically responsible for ensuring that the civil construction elements of the onshore transmission assets are successfully developed and executed for the project and will engage with the supply chain and other stakeholders as required in order to support the progression of the project.
- Develop the pre-construction engineering program for the civil elements of the project's onshore electrical transmission infrastructure, identifying all key activities required to define and refine the project such that it can meet key stage gates.
- Ensure onshore civil design work undertaken for the project is undertaken using appropriate methods and is confirmed to be in accordance with applicable standards and project requirements.
- Liaison with the project's development team, landowners and other stakeholders in relation to the planning consents and land agreements required to enable successful completion of the works.
- Support project development activities such as planning condition discharge by providing input on engineering and technical matters such as anticipated design parameters and construction methods associated with the project's electrical transmission infrastructure.
- Identify the need for specialist internal and external technical support. Manage the technical aspects of procurement of specialist external support.
- Manage internal and external specialist technical support to ensure project requirements are delivered on time and to budget.
- Working with procurement, engage with the manufacturing/construction supply chain in connection with the project, including preparing technical specifications for work packages and undertaking or coordinating technical assessment of proposals.
- Where required by the Transmission Infrastructure Package Manager, manage contracts or sections of contracts related to the design and delivery of electrical systems and equipment.
- Ensure appropriate engineering governance is put in place and managed, including development of technical risk registers and implementation of design management processes.
- Working with project controls, support the development of construction and operational cost estimates and delivery programme/schedule scenarios for the project.
- Report progress on engineering and technical work during the project development phase.
- Provide specialist civil engineering support to other work packages where requested.
Experience & Qualifications:
- A degree in civil engineering or equivalent is required.
- Demonstrable experience within the power/ energy sector is required.
- Experience in either the offshore/onshore wind or electricity transmission sector is strongly preferred.
- Chartered or Incorporated Engineer status is desirable.
- Experience in a multi-disciplinary project environment is required. Demonstrable knowledge in all of the following areas is required:
- The CDM (Construction Design and Management) Regulations, including a demonstrable understanding of health, safety and environmental best practice.
- Onshore electricity transmission asset civil design standards and methods.
- Management of civil construction works.
- Knowledge of the following areas is desirable:
- Standards associated with electrical system design of grid connected power projects, including knowledge of key aspects of the UK regulatory regime such as the Grid Code and SQSS.
- UK offshore transmission regulatory regime.
Skills & Competencies:
Self-starter with a proactive approach to project and contract management in order to identify risks and opportunities early and initiate appropriate actions.
Ability to communicate across all levels of the project team and to support (and manage where required) the relationship with external stakeholders.
Attentive to detail with strong written communication, organisational and time management skills.
The project has an international team of employees and the working language is English. Candidates need to be fluent in English both spoken and written. Proficiency in other languages will be valued.