Permitting Manager – Offshore Wind
Seeking a Permitting Manager - Offshore Wind to join one of the world's leading renewable energy developers and operators. The Permitting Manager will provide technical and strategic advice in relation to offshore and onshore environmental issues and permitting requirements. This person will work alongside the offshore team to ensure that offshore wind projects are designed and delivered responsibly and with minimum impact on the environment or stakeholders. The Permitting Manager will play an important role in helping to understand and mitigate site-specific risks and to accelerate and maximise value from the company's offshore development program principally through the achievement of timely permits and consents. This role can be based flexibly in the US. There will be travel within the US, as well as occasional transatlantic travel.
- Coordinate and lead permitting activities for offshore wind projects in the US.
- Develop a robust and achievable permitting strategy for US and Canadian offshore projects, working closely with internal and external stakeholders.
- Stay informed about relevant legislation and guide the development timeline accordingly.
- Work with internal teams to design a project schedule and ensure milestones are achieved.
- Understand and communicate key permitting risks and manage risk mitigation.
- Lead engagement with consultants and advisors. Determine scopes of work, appoint contractors and interpret advice received.
- Manage and oversee the process to meet all regulatory, siting, and environmental requirements to obtain all permits and approvals. Lead the preparation of all relevant project documentation and applications for submission to regulatory agencies.
- Liaise with partners and other colleagues (e.g. finance, engineering, H&S) to ensure projects are designed and developed to be practical, efficient and safe, that EIAs and permit applications are adequately scoped and that all permits received are fit for purpose.
- Represent the company's position at all hearings, public consultations and workshops and strengthen the position of the company in the US through speaking engagements and stakeholder outreach.
- Liaise with stakeholders and regulators throughout development phase and beyond.
- Maintain regular communication with appropriate stakeholders and government agencies.
- Coordinate preparation of applications and filings with state and federal agencies.
- Particiapte in partnership discussions as required and provide assistance in securing a partner.
- Be a key contributor to securing a lease through BOEM competitive lease auction process.
- Provide support for offshore development in APAC regions.
- Minimum of Bachelor's Degree in engineering, environmental related discipline, political science or other applicable field.
- 6+ years of experience in energy project development, permitting and/or environmental review.
- A sound working knowledge of the US renewable energy development process and regulatory landscape with preference given to experience with offshore wind.
- Contacts within the planning authorities, stakeholder groups and the energy industry.
- Project management or wind energy regulatory experience with a broad range of environmental management skills and extensive applied onshore or offshore planning and environmental assessment experience in the renewable energy sector.
- Experience leading permitting campaigns for large development projects in the US.
- Demonstrated depth of market knowledge to assist in securing a partner.
- Experience in APAC development an advantage.
- The candidate should be equipped with the following key skills:
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Ability to work under pressure and meet deadlines
- Ability to work in a team, coordinate and enthuse colleagues and consultants
- Strong initiative and the ability to proactively identify required tasks
- Excellent attention to detail
- Ability to maintain sight of the 'big picture' and overarching objectives at all times
- Good IT skills, including experience with MS Word, Excel and Project packages and GIS capability
- An organized approach to working, task prioritization and time management
- The ability to manage contractors where required