Offshore Wind,Transmission & Distribution
Leading offshore wind developer seeking a Origination & Power Marketing Director to join their growing team as they develop utility-scale offshore wind projects in the mid-Atlantic. The Origination & Power Marketing Director will support the growth and delivery of the developer's portfolio, focusing on: assessing and estimating power fundamentals in support of the developer's interconnection and offtake strategy, analyzing revenue structures and associated legal and commercial risks in target markets, developing the revenue plan and optimizing revenue streams, and supporting negotiation of power purchase agreements with offtakers and revenue management contracts with energy trading partner(s). The Origination & Power Marketing Director will report directly to the Commercial Director and will generally act as the subject matter expert on projects' revenue plan, associated risks, mitigations and opportunities. As such, the Origination & Power Marketing Director be a core member of the bid team, supporting project maturation and development of bid proposals for State procurements focused on their area of expertise.
- Power fundamentals and interconnection assessment, including:
- Working in close collaboration with the Interconnection team and Development team, support the interconnection strategy definition and implementation by providing power fundamental inputs (curtailment, congestion, basis).
- Maintain database and clear understanding of interconnection landscape within the target markets, including fossil facilities repurposing, competitors and other large energy project's interconnection to the grid and impacts on power flows and power fundamentals.
- Identify power fundamentals data needs, define scopes and secure consultant(s) support to define assumptions and provide data input to the developer's economic model. Generally, manage expert consultant(s) contract and deliverables.
- Revenue structure and revenue stream analysis, including:
- Working in close collaboration with the Offtake Manager and Legal Team, assess the developer's target markets' OREC structures, including revenue mechanisms, commercial and legal risks, commitments, defaults and remedies.
- Act as the subject matter expert on PJM and NYISO markets, FERC and other policies and other regulations and developments impacting offshore wind revenues.
- Identify and assess known and potential additional revenue streams including ORECs, Class I RECs, merchant energy and capacity revenues, and other products (reactive power, ancillary services, etc.).
- Pairing with the Commercial Manager in charge of integrated energy solutions, assess and quantify revenue streams and associated risks and opportunities pertaining to storage, hydrogen and other potential technologies to be considered by the developer as part of bid proposals.
- Revenue plan and revenue optimization, including:
- Sit as a member of the Core Bid team, bringing subject matter expert knowledge to defining bid strategies, bid maturation plan and proof point realization.
- Develop revenue strategy and draft revenue plan part of bid proposals.
- Work closely with the Valuation team to refine the economic model with regards to power fundamentals, OREC revenue structure and additional revenue streams.
- Define and provide assumptions and inputs to the bid OREC pricing, seeking the best balance in optimizing shareholder revenues and reducing ratepayer impact.
- Power Purchase Agreements (PPA) negotiation and handover, including:
- As applicable, act as subject matter expert on revenue risks and mitigations in the PPA negotiation team, under the Commercial and Legal negotiation team leads' leadership.
- Prepare and execute handover of bid and PPA knowledge as it relates to power fundamentals and revenue knowledge, to Energy manager within the project execution team.
- Support scope definition, selection and onboarding of energy trading partner(s), reflecting bid commitments and ensuring sanctity of the developer's revenue plans and value drivers towards the operations phase.
- At least a Bachelor's degree in Engineering, Science or Business is required
- Master's degree in Engineering or Business administration preferred
- Significant relevant work experience within the energy industry leading high-profile projects, negotiations, and interconnection and/or revenue strategies ($250+ million value)
- Experience with grids and power markets within the developer's target markets (New York and New Jersey) a significant competitive advantage
- Experience in negotiating power purchase contracts a significant advantage
- Experience with offshore wind a significant competitive advantage
- Outstanding interpersonal oral and written communication, presentation skills required
- Ability to simplify and socialize complex topics to team and to executive management
- Highly motivated, self-starter, ability to work well with others and be a good team player
- Ability to work in a multi-cultural context and a fast-paced JV environment
- Strong attention to detail and high degree of organizational skills