Principal Geotechnical Consultant
Leading offshore wind consultancy looking for a Principal Geotechnical Consultant. The diversity of work within the team makes this is an excellent opportunity for a Principal Geotechnical Consultant to practice their skills in a wide range of international projects spanning concept design through to detailed design, life extension, monitoring and decommissioning.
The position is based in Oxfordshire.
This role is for you if you:
- Are keen to provide collaborative technical steer alongside industry leading experts;
- Would like to work for an organisation which offers career development and progression opportunities at more senior grades;
- Are looking to work in an environment where we take pride in best in class delivery, collaborate with academia and industry to develop and publish new design methodologies that deliver real benefit to our clients;
- Wish to develop the standard of geotechnical design for offshore renewable energy projects.
- Wish to act as industry supervisor for focused academic research and development through collaboration with other in house experts and leading universities;
- Would like to work for a company that has a strong commitment to Health, Safety and the Environment.
The duties and responsibilities associated with this position include, but are not limited to:
- Independently review and critique geotechnical data to a high level of understanding;
- Supervise the derivation of appropriate design soil parameters and apply these in a variety of industry-leading non-standard analytical and numerical geotechnical analyses to the highest technical quality and health and safety standards;
- Technical direction of a team of geotechnical engineers in collaboration with existing technical leads on a range of projects, recommending and implementing improvements in specific operational and/or technical areas;
- Technical development for multiple areas of geotechnical analysis, including management of industry-focused research, publication and academic collaboration to ensure the highest quality designs for our clients.
- Demonstrable industry-focussed technical skills and commercial, project management and people management awareness.
- Experience in a fast-paced onshore or offshore engineering consultancy environment with a desire to continually learn regardless of seniority;
- Degree in Civil Engineering or related discipline or equivalent in education and experience;
- High level understanding of soil mechanics and energy and/or infrastructure geotechnical design, demonstrated by regular conference and journal publications tailored to industry applications that demonstrate client value;
- A creative thought process to engineering problems;
- Demonstrable experience in technically complex and commercially successful projects or work packages;
- Exceptional written and verbal communication in English. This role requires frequent interaction with and presentation to various project stakeholders;
- The ability to convey project value to various project disciplines and promote the benefits of methods developed;
- Excellent organisational skills;
- In depth knowledge of key industry design standards and codes within your area of experience and experience of achieving certification or verification where code deviations have been implemented successfully;
- The ability to understand, interpret and critique results from standard, advanced and dynamic (cyclic) laboratory testing, and to robustly derive, and explain the derivation of, appropriate design soil parameters to junior personnel;
- Experience in the appropriate use of a range of numerical analysis software (e.g. Plaxis, Abaqus, FLAC or similar) and awareness of constitutive models; their application and limitations.
- Ability to develop design tools for use by others based on geotechnical publications and/or first principles;
- The ability to review numerical and written work with an exceptional attention to detail and identity and mitigate project risk prior to project delivery through feedback and process modification;
- Experience and confidence in Client management and development of Client relationships.
- A post-graduate qualification (Master’s and/or Doctoral) in geotechnical or closely related discipline;
- Programming skills (e.g. Python and/or VBA);
- Chartered (or Fellow) member of a relevant learned institution (e.g. CEng MICE or CEng FICE Institution of Civil Engineers).