Principal Geotechnical Engineer
Leading international offshore wind consultancy recruiting for a Principal Geotechnical Engineer. This role will be part of a high-performing team working on a growing international pipeline of projects.
The position is ideally based in London, however other European locations can be considered. The successful candidate will be offered significant flexibility to work from home when possible.
The Principal Geotechnical Engineer will work on engineering and consultancy assignments for offshore wind farm projects on a global basis. The Principal Geotechnical Engineer will be responsible for leading teams to deliver complex geotechnical engineering projects.
- Working closely with the Head of Geotech Engineering on coordinating the work of the geotechnical team and providing line management support in order to accomplish the overall delivery of optimum solutions to clients within the timeframe, costs and quality standards established. Keeping projects on budget and on schedule.
- Undertake a variety of engineering analyses including foundation design, leg penetration/extraction analysis, drivability analyses, geotechnical interpretations and cable route assessment.
- Independently prepare tenders and proposals.
- Take a lead in business development activities.
- Implement best practice in geotechnical assessment and design.
- Review geotechnical designs, method statements and submissions by contractors to ensure geotechnical issues are accounted for.
- Undertake desk studies and assessing sources of site information prior to field investigations.
- Develop a capability to undertake BPI assessments for subsea cable routes.
- Attending conferences, writing and delivering of technical papers, representing and promoting our skills and competencies in the offshore wind sector.
- Ensure all deliverables are conducted in full compliance with approved instructions, procedures and policies.
- Responsible for being the coach and mentor for graduate and junior engineers.
- The role is office based with flexibility to working hours. Extensive travel within Europe and occasionally further overseas is a requirement of the job. It is also envisaged that the role will involve offshore work on occasions.
- Qualified to degree level in Civil or Geotechnical Engineering.
- Chartered member of a relevant professional institutional body.
- MSc in Geotechnical Engineering (desirable).
- PhD in Geotechnical Engineering (desirable).
Skills & Experience:
- Significant experience as geotechnical engineer in the design and management of offshore wind farm foundations and/or cable routes.
- Direct working experience as a geotechnical engineer offshore on vessels or jack-ups, and on offshore wind projects (desirable).
- Excellent geotechnical engineering knowledge with experience in managing small teams to deliver projects for clients.
- Experienced in the scoping, management, supervision and interpretation of offshore site investigations.
- Experience of jack-up leg penetration analyses.
- Ability to undertake scour assessments, pile drivability and extraction analyses.
- Ability to co-ordinate, direct and lead projects and work under own initiative with minimum supervision.
- Good technical knowledge of offshore design and construction.
- Familiar with commercial and contractual issues and able to provide guidance to clients.
- Good sales and business development techniques and be competent in marketing the capabilities.
- Capable of seeing new business opportunities and pursuing these with existing and future clients.
- Proficient in the use of software: Matlab, Visual Basic, Plaxis, FLAC3D, GRLWEAP and gINT and general programming (desirable).