Project Developer – UK
Our client is a leading global developer of renewable energy projects. They develop large-scale solar and battery storage projects in the UK, Canada, the USA and Europe.
They work closely with landowners and local stakeholders to develop their sites to the highest standards. Their projects are delivered with local knowledge and expertise and offer benefits to the local communities as well as including measures to enhance the natural environment.
By focusing on best-in-class development processes and technology we have delivered a truly scalable development model. Their team prides itself on managing and developing the highest quality solar and battery storage projects globally.
We have an exciting opportunity for an experienced, ambitious, and self-motivated individual to join our UK development team as a Senior Project Developer.
You will be responsible for managing several sites from our existing pipeline of solar and BESS projects through to Ready to Build and supporting the originating of new solar and BESS projects. This is a hands-on development role which will involve working closely with other departments within the company as well as our landowners, consultants and other stakeholders. The position will report to the UK Head of Development.
You will be based in Bristol, with the option for occasional remote working. Travel throughout the UK including occasional overnight stays will also be required. We envisage the role being full-time but will consider part-time or job-share applications on a case-by-case basis.
Duties And Responsibilities
- Directly manage the development of solar and BESS projects
- Work closely with the Head of Grid, Head of Land and Head of Planning to ensure sites are progressed through the pipeline and de-risked
- Liaise with landowners, grid networks and planning authorities
- Ensuring the development tools (e.g. project trackers and risk registers) are populated and updated on a regular basis
- Reporting updates/progress and any material issues to the UK Head of Development on a weekly basis
- Help find new ways to unlock projects with technical, political or planning challenges
- Mentor and support junior members of the UK development team
- Support the origination team to help ensure a constant flow of projects through the development pipeline
- Working closely with the UK Head of Development and others in the organisation to stay abreast of the latest policy/regulation developments and advise how these could impact scheme delivery
- Support project sales processes or the transfer of projects to the construction team
- Support the delivery of alternative technologies including hydrogen and wind on existing sites
Skills & Experience
(E = Essential and D = Desirable)
- Detailed knowledge and experience of the UK solar and BESS project development process, pitfalls and mitigations (E)
- Specific knowledge of later-stage development processes including handover to construction teams or project sales (D)
- Knowledge of other technologies such as wind or hydrogen (D)
- Hands-on approach and ability to work under pressure and to tight deadlines (E)
- Willingness to get stuck into a range of varied tasks and projects (E)
- Good problem-solving skills, able to think around challenges and propose creative solutions (E)
- Self-motivated, able to manage own workload and clearly communicate progress (E)
- Experience speaking and negotiating with key project stakeholders on the phone and in person (E)
- Well-organised and process-orientated with good attention to detail (E)
- Proven ability to work and communicate with remote colleagues (D)
- Commercial awareness and acumen (D)
- Value-focused with a high degree of accountability (E)
- Ability to influence internal and external stakeholders (D)
- Experience using Google Sheets and other G-Suite software (D)
- Experience with Google Earth (D)
- A UK driving licence (E)
- The existing right to live and work in the UK (E)