The Senior Commercial Analyst will take a lead on the investment case modelling activities for projects from concept through to investment decision. As well as taking a lead in own projects, this will require mentoring and coaching of work done by analysts in teams outside of the UK or the quality assurance of work done by contractors. In line with growth aspirations, the Business Development team is expected to grow and therefore this role holder will coach and train new analysts.
The Senior Commercial Analyst will work closely with the Business Development Director in evaluating new markets, new business models and developing new relationships to extract the maximum value from The Company's technology.
The Senior Commercial Analyst will work closely with other teams and will act as a co-ordinator in preparing presentations and materials for decision makers relating to strategy, business development, investment decisions. The primary teams will be the business development teams currently in Australia and Spain, the power system market modelling team in London and the engineering & delivery teams in London and Dubai.
The ideal candidate would be someone who is an experienced analyst who is wishing to move into a more commercial business development role. Due to the size of the current team, the candidate will initially be leading modelling work but will assist in, and in the future lead, business development projects.
Key tasks, activities and responsibilities of the role
- Responsible for building and maintaining financial models for development projects and presenting investment analysis of development projects to management team
- Responsible for the financial, market and commercial analysis of any feasibility studies of any development opportunities and, working with the power system market modelling team, presenting the results to management team and external partners
- Responsible for maintaining a thorough understanding of the revenue opportunities and market regulations (both current and anticipated) in selected markets
- Mentoring of junior analysts and other senior/junior analysts in other teams and quality assurance of their modelling; supervision of any third party modelling resource.
- Competitor analysis of alternative technologies
- Market analysis of new markets and profiling of potential partners. Identification of business models and target markets. Assisting the Business Development Director with the business development strategy and prioritisation of development activities.
- Deputising the Business Development Director as required in discussions and negotiations with development partners.
- Project development lead for selected markets and projects.
Experience and Qualifications
- Degree level education in a numerical subject ideally with relevant financial / economic post graduate qualification (e.g. CFA, MBA etc)
- Significant experience of modelling renewable energy or storage investment projects with project finance and associated revenues and non-energy costs. Very good market understanding of regulatory environment of at least one major market.
- Experience of preparing and ideally presenting investment cases materials to an investment committee
- Experience of having trained and coached junior analysts
- Pro-active, self-motivated, well organised
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Ability to work collaboratively and independently