Senior Cost Estimating Engineer
This role will be responsible for developing conceptual and detailed project cost estimates for offshore wind projects with a major international energy developer.
This is a full-time, permanent position based in London.
- Preparing cost estimates ranging from Order of Magnitude through to detailed Project Sanction Estimates, ensuring a full understanding of the technical scope, cost estimate basis, schedule, contracting strategy and execution plan.
- Reporting to ensure estimates are consistent with estimating procedures and guidelines.
- Review of contractor developed cost estimating deliverables, ensuring consistency against requirements prior to integration into the project cost estimate.
- Participating in the preparation and implementation of the work breakdown structure (WBS); ensuring understanding of the broader scope across all project stages.
- Leading the identification of cost norms and unit rates required to develop a cost estimate including: engineering, procurement, construction and fabrication labour hours, productivity, wage rates, installation vessels and owners cost.
- Supporting the development of Offshore wind project benchmarking/estimating database.
- Working with the benchmarking team, prepares the evaluation of the cost estimate against internal and external cost metrics and benchmarks to demonstrate the competitiveness of the project.
- Development of cost estimating plans, basis of estimate and supporting materials for independent verification and project reviews.
- Supporting the preparation of FMs by performing and supporting probabilistic risk analysis to ensure that the generated unallocated provision (UAP) and additional unallocated provision (AUAP) levels are reflective of the scale and magnitude of the risks & opportunities.
- Minimum 5 years relevant industry experience in a cost estimating role.
- Experience in the preparation, analysis and presentation of capital cost estimates.
- Experience of working alongside procurement on bid evaluations.
- Good communication (oral and written) skills.
- Respectful of a multicultural working environment.
- Familiar with probabilistic estimate risk analysis.
- Experience with offshore wind projects.
- Experience of work in a multi-project environment and managing several work-fronts consecutively.
- Ability to work under own initiative or as part of a team of estimators.
- Ability to work with multiple stakeholders and demonstrate high performance with deliverables.
- Excellent inter-personal skills and behaviours.
- Ability to produce good quality written reports and summary presentations - able to communicate clarity from complexity.
- Competent with computers and IT including experience of using standard software (e.g. MS Outlook, MS Teams, MS Word, MS Excel and MS Powerpoint).