Senior Electrical Engineer-Grid Connection
The Senior Electrical Engineer will be part of a new global offshore wind execution team with a major international energy developer.
Taylor Hopkinson is retained to build out a global offshore wind team for one of the world's leading energy businesses. This team will develop & execute projects in the UK & US as well forming a global centre of excellence for a rapidly growing offshore wind portfolio.
This is a full-time, permanent position based in the UK (location flexible).
- The electrical engineer reports to the electrical engineering manager and is responsible for providing deep technical expertise in public electrical grid connections and renewable energy projects
- Leadership of engineering studies, Risk assessments and Management of Change (MoC)
- Contributing to the strategic long-term development of implementing engineering technical practices to support safe design and operation of critical assets
- Applying knowledge of Power system concept design and Electrical Grid and Transmission system operator interface management
- Conducting Grid assessments to assess Grid stability and Grid code compliance
- Assessing Electrical Transmission voltage selection, loss estimates, and optimisation
- Defining scope of work for contractors within electrical discipline and ensure quality and accuracy for study deliverables
- Managing any specific delegated budget for electrical engineering activities and delivers to meet project cost and schedule requirements
- Providing informal mentoring/training to other members of the team to build engineering quality in the discipline, driving continuous improvement in processes and networking broadly to ensure knowledge sharing and lessons learned capture
- Professional Engineer and/or Chartered Engineer
- Bachelor's and/or Master's Degree in Engineering or related discipline relevant to electrical engineering.
- Experience from the wind industry business is preferable including knowledge of associated codes and standards.
- 10+ years experience with electrical power systems
- Demonstrable experience with public electrical grid connections
- Good working knowledge of industry and regulatory standards for either eastern hemisphere (e.g. IEC) or western hemisphere (e.g. NEMA/ANSI).
- Strong leadership skills, ability to influence and drive decisions.
- Fluent written and spoken English language
- Good communicator, able to technically address with conviction verbally and written across Projects and Operations on technical matters at all levels of the company.
- Knowledge and experience of power system modelling and protection relay coordination.
- Knowledge and experience of hazardous area classification and management of electrical and instrumentation equipment in either onshore or offshore hydrocarbon environments.
- Knowledge of Control system interface requirements to electrical systems.
- Experience of working across different cultures, supporting different operating regions and engaging with a wide variety of customers or suppliers.