Senior Geotechnical Engineer
The Senior Geotechnical Engineer will be part of a new global offshore wind execution team with a major international energy developer. Taylor Hopkinson is retained to build out a global offshore wind team for one of the world's leading energy businesses. This team will develop & execute projects in the UK & US as well forming a global centre of excellence for a rapidly growing offshore wind portfolio.
This is a full-time, permanent position based in the UK (location flexible).
- Providing geotechnical engineering subject matter expertise to low carbon offshore projects to support in achieving its net zero ambition.
- Supervising the planning and design of offshore WTG foundations including:
- Geotechnical site investigation and laboratory testing.
- Development of integrated ground models.
- Choice of foundation concept: monopiles, jacket foundations (driven piles, vibratory piles, bucket foundations), Gravity Base Structures, or other innovative concepts.
- Development of basis of design.
- Detailed design of foundations for ultimate, serviceability and fatigue limit states in clays, sands, and rocks.
- Analyses of foundation installation, including pile driving prediction and suction bucket embedment.
- Supporting conceptual development studies and site selection activities.
- Provide input to technology development initiatives.
- Adhering to the code of conduct, ethics and compliance rules, and values & behaviours.
- Ensuring safe and cost-efficient design and integrity management throughout asset life.
- Ensuring design are in accordance with industry technical practices and standards.
- Quantifying and communicating risks to relevant stakeholders to ensure they are understood, controlled and continuously reduced across the business.
- Maintaining relationships with third party suppliers, contractors, and other stakeholders.
- Representation in relevant industry working groups and committees.
- Actively contributing to the geotechnical engineering community of practice to share knowledge and learnings.
- Participating in mentoring and coaching by actively sharing expertise and experience with team members.
- Degree in civil/geotechnical engineering.
- Appropriate professional accreditation (e.g. Chartered civil engineer, P.E. status, or chartered status in closely aligned discipline).
- Significant, proven experience in the design, construction, and installation of foundations for offshore WTG.
- Knowledge of soil sampling and in-situ testing tools for clays, sands, and rocks.
- Knowledge of laboratory tests and how they are used in design methods and constitutive models.
- Experience in the integration of geophysical and geotechnical data to develop ground models.
- Experience with machine learning techniques to develop synthetic ground models (e.g. CPT profiles)
- Experience in designing monopiles with state-of-the-art methods (e.g. Finite Element Methods with software such as ABAQUS or PLAXIS, PISA methods, and others).
- Experience in designing driven piles for jacket foundations.
- Experience in installation analyses of WTG foundations.
- Excellent knowledge of industry codes and standards.