Senior Grid Connection Engineer – Offshore Wind
Offshore Wind,Transmission & Distribution
Currently seeking a Senior Grid Connection Engineer to join one of the world's leading renewable energy companies as they develop significant offshore wind projects in the US. The Senior Grid Connection Engineer will coordinate and deliver electrical and grid engineering services around their offshore wind farm developments in the US. The Senior Grid Connection Engineer will play a key role in helping to understand and mitigate site-specific risks related to interconnection, and to accelerate and maximize value from the company's offshore development program in the US. Travel will be required on the East and West Coast.
- Lead project grid and electrical network connection development and related regulatory body interaction activities in the US, with specific emphasis on the Northeast Atlantic and California.
- Actively research and share knowledge of grid network connection and regulatory framework requirements to influence company strategy and project development plans.
- Manage distribution and transmission grid network connection process and interactions with the Utilities, Independent System Operator(s), consultants, contractors, and suppliers.
- Work as part of the US Offshore team to ensure that the company meets its overall offshore wind objectives in the US.
- Cooperate and coordinate with central engineering team and liaise with the various multi-disciplinary teams working on the company's offshore wind projects.
- Provide engineering support during the pre-lease auction site evaluation phase and development phase to assess and plan for offtake and interconnection.
- Technical engagement and management of communications with external consultants, contractors, independent engineers, lenders engineers, utility and grid companies as required.
- Drive innovation and cost reduction opportunities.
- Evaluation of new concepts and technologies. Support commercial/budgeting processes, risk management, reporting.
- Minimum Bachelor's degree in Electrical Engineering
- Minimum 4 years' experience in energy industry in similar roles
- Strong understanding of regulatory framework and knowledge of potential regulatory changes impacting distribution and transmission grid connection application processes
- Knowledge of US policy, legislation, grid code and any other applicable regulation related to connecting renewable generation, Atlantic offshore or California specific experience is a distinct advantage
- Knowledge of offshore windfarm or other large energy infrastructure development process
- An understanding of wind turbine technology and the issues involved with grid connections
- Experience in the renewables industry an advantage
- Experience in the preparation of technical specifications and other technical documents
- Knowledge of Health and Safety legislation and in particular, Health and Safety issues offshore
- Suitable experience in the electrical design of power generating plant; including Medium Voltage and High Voltage plant design and equipment specification.
- Excellent verbal / written communication skills and strong report writing skills
- Ability to work under pressure and meet deadlines with strong initiative and the ability to proactively identify required tasks
- Ability to maintain sight of the 'big picture' and overarching objectives while still paying excellent attention to detail
- An organized approach to working, task prioritization and time management
- Be a genuine team player, with a positive outlook, be determined and flexible
- Be a highly motivated, dynamic, self-starter with proven track record of delivery
- Be flexible in terms of working arrangements, international travel may be required