Senior Legal Counsel MEA – Renewable power
Opportunity for a legal professional with experience in renewable energy to join a global leading new energy investor company in Middle East or South Africa.
As Senior Legal Counsel, you will cover MEA area.
Location : Remote working
* Manage and supervise a variety of regulatory and commercial matters across the Middle Eastern and African region to support the business in the development of the projects and in the expansion of the new opportunities in this market;
* Provide legal guidance and innovative solutions to different internal teams;
* Support the business line development teams and the different teams involved in the drafting and negotiation of the documents supporting their activities and the development of the projects, including drafting, negotiating and advice on commercial agreements such as EPC Agreements land options, leases, connection agreements, PPAs, tender documents, etc.;
* Accompany the projects through financial close, requiring review and drafting of loan agreements, security agreements, common terms agreements, liaising with lenders legal advisors, etc.;
* Review and advise on legally binding documents, follow-up and advise on negotiations;
* Support preparation and revision of public tenders and submission of documentation;
* Support and advise development managers in the analysis of new markets;
* Contribute to the strategic and budgetary planning process of the business line;
* Contribute to the risk assessment of the activities of the business unit, its business partners, suppliers and other business stakeholders;
* Draft and negotiate other contracts such as LoIs, NDAs, MoUs, joint development agreements, etc.;
* Identify and maintain a network of legal partners capable of globally support the needs of the business unit in terms of local legal advice.
Managing external legal counsel (preparing RFPs for appointment, managing costs according to pre-agreed scope of work)
The ideal candidate will have/ be:
* LLB or other business law degree;
* Solid legal experience; At least 3 years of post-qualification experience in renewable energy projects
* Extensive knowledge in renewable energy projects and tenders in the Middle East;
* Experience in African renewable energy projects will be helpful;
* Experience in the negotiation of power purchase agreements;
* Experience in EPC negotiations (Experience with EPC Contracts in the Middle East is favored)
* Experience in project finance process;
* Proven track record of complex commercial regional negotiations;
* Some background in M&As matters is a plus;
* Must have international experience, with a commercial profile;
* English proficiency.
* Ability to communicate legal risks and recommendations to senior managers in the company;
* Problem-solving skills, strategic thinking, judgement, communication, and interpersonal skills;
* Proactive and creative legal analysis will be key.