Senior Legal Counsel
Senior Counsel with expertise in drafting and negotiating PPAs required by a global leader in solar energy project development and management.
This is a remote position within a nationwide US team.
This senior role provides an exciting opportunity for a lawyer within a dynamic and changing business in a growth industry.
- Provide excellent legal services to the US business development and power marketing teams.
- Draft and negotiate (a) power purchase agreements (physical and virtual), hedging agreements, and other types of offtake agreements, (b) build-transfer agreements (including both asset and share transfer agreements), and (c) agreements for RECs, energy management services agreements and other agreements related to power marketing, in each case for utility-scale solar photovoltaic generating facilities and/or energy storage systems.
- Advise regarding tariff filings and other legal matters related to capacity, reactive power and other environmental attributes.
- Draft and negotiate M&A agreements, including (a) membership interest and/or asset purchase agreements for the acquisition of solar projects from third party developers, and (b) disposition agreements for the sale or partial sell-down of US solar projects.
- Assist the teams in all aspects of the foregoing, including working with commercial leads to facilitate internal stakeholder input in connection with, among other things, project risks and due diligence findings in the M&A process and appropriately addressing in the applicable agreements.
- During the financing and construction process, assist the business development and power marketing teams with items related to the foregoing agreements, including force majeure notices, estoppels, consents to collateral assignment, energy management services agreements and reactive power filings.
- Provide general assistance to the US regulatory team, including with respect to EWG, MBR, QF, Texas PUCT, and other filings required for operating solar plants.
Assist with development of processes, template agreements and work flows for the efficient drafting, negotiation and administration of the applicable agreements and overall deal management.
- Negotiate non-disclosure agreements and master services and consulting agreements with third party consultants and service providers to support the business development and power marketing teams.
- Liaise with all internal business teams including the Development, Business Development, Construction, Structured Finance, Corporate Finance, Operations and Asset Management teams and counsel the business partners on a wide range of legal topics, including undertaking training on legal concepts where necessary; and
- Ensure compliance with internal compliance framework and corporate approvals policies.
- Opportunities will also arise: to manage external legal resources, paralegals and contract management team (from time to time); and to become involved in other areas of law where business needs arise.
- Transactional attorney with significant experience closing offtake and M&A transactions in the renewable energy sector.
- Extensive experience in drafting and negotiating relevant agreements and ancillary documents.
- Strong business acumen with ability to assess legal risk and offer commercial / practical and strategic considerations.
- Strong technical drafting skills and extensive experience in respect of the documents and types of work covered in the 'Duties and responsibilities' section of this job description.
Ability to work, and deliver acceptable commercial and legal results, under strict deadlines
- Collaborative, team player that is comfortable operating in lead and supporting roles, as necessary
- Qualified licensed attorney with at least 5+ years post-qualification experience in the US.
- Excellent academic background and experience from a top tier firm or similar in-house role.
- Ability to work independently, deal confidently and build strong relations with senior business colleagues.
- Willingness to receive and accept feedback and improve.
- Flexible attitude and the ability to multitask.
- Strong time management / prioritization skills.
- Excellent written, verbal communication and English skills.
- Helpful, hardworking approach and a team player.
- Detailed oriented and able to work independently to manage and close transactions.