Senior Power Systems Engineer
Taylor Hopkinson has been retained to search for a Senior Power Systems Engineer to join UL in their ANZ Team.
As a member of the Technical Advisory Services team, the Senior Power Systems Engineer will be responsible for leading and managing all aspects of highly specialized engineering services on behalf of our clients for high profile independent engineering and technical advisory projects for wind, solar and storage. The role would suit experienced, power systems specialist, electrical engineers looking for a key role with a genuine passion for power systems analysis and grid modelling using softwares such as PSS/E, PSCAD or DigSilent/Powerfactory. Demonstrable experience is essential, particularly in the context of the Australian market, and a passion for renewable energy and resolving problems within power systems work is key.
This position responsibilities will include:
- Drive the delivery of Power Systems studies for renewable energy projects across the region. Will include work across the grid connection process, from feasibility through to commissioning.
- Lead engineer working across a range of projects, providing expertise and support
- Project management across projects, this is a team that works together to solve problems and team work is a strong expectation for the right candidate.
- Conduct activities in line with internal procedures, accreditation schemes, legislation and industry standards.
- Preparing deliverables of exceptional quality within the agreed parameters in a defined format and within an agreed timescale.
- Identify opportunities for project extensions and possible future work.
- Develop business opportunities by establishing external network in many contexts, e.g., through client contact during execution of project work and attendance at client meetings.
- Share knowledge and mentor colleagues as appropriate, providing technical leadership within the team
- Undertake, participate in UL Grid Solutions Services and working across the broader team to deliver those services
- Support power system studies to define the wind farm generator performance standards and to develop the wind farm control system functional design specification and reactive plant requirements. Coordinate activities with the grid modelling department
- Review of Balance of Plant (BoP) design, drawing and document submissions from subcontractors against industry best practice, law, international and local standards, in addition to contractual and interfacing requirements from the perspective of grid connection compliance
- Liaise with internal and external stakeholders to ensure grid connection issues are resolved in a timely manner
- Undertake and support the procurement, design, installation, commissioning and testing of wind farm grid monitoring equipment, and control systems
- Undertake generator performance standards compliance testing, model validation (R2) testing, and generator registration with AEMO, including liaising with site based personnel
- Research and prepare formal responses to inquiries regarding wind farm technical performance. Prepare and deliver technical presentations to customer
- Attend and provide input to various safety, design, technical and risk meetings, workshops and reviews
- Long term power system analysis of strategic and regulated projects
- Network analysis and reporting processes to ensure network reliability and future network limitations are identified in a consistent timely manner
- The establishment of network asset augmentations, new connections and augmentations to existing connections through sound power system network assessment (both steady state and dynamics) and economic analysis
- Issues relating to system security, limit equation work and interconnection transfer capabilities (Import and Export limit equations) System disturbances and assessment of generator performance standards
- Technical reporting to underpin the outcomes of network analysis
- National Electricity Market modelling and market benefit analysis
- Development and maintenance data and models necessary to carry out transmission network analysis
- Coordination of joint planning activities with all NEM TNSP’s and AEMO
- Supporting the preparation of private sector consultation reports
- Participate in project proposals detailing a clearly defined scope and understanding of client required deliverables and establishing a corresponding budget that satisfies the client’s expectations;
- Work with client to clarify and communicate project objectives, including success criteria in order to identify project team, and ensure project deliverables stay on-time, on-target, and on-budget;
- Prepare communication plan and related project status reports. Facilitate and lead regular status meetings with internal project team, sponsors, and stakeholders;
- Work with multi-disciplinary team to identify project risks, barriers, and issues and propose possible solutions and mitigation strategies;
- Ensure the use of best practices and apply lessons learned from previous projects;
- Attend applicable conferences business development meetings and client meetings as required;
- Learn and work in energy assessments and wind resource modeling;
- Support business development activities, including meeting with customers to explain technical details clearly and concisely
- Understand and ensure company quality standards are met
- Performs other duties as directed
Qualifications & Experience:
- Bachelor in engineering, preferably Master in Renewables, Electrical, High Voltage Engineering;
- At least minimum 5 - 8 years of experience in a similar role for services focusing on providing specialist technical advisory associated wind/solar and storage Power Systems
- Knowledge and understanding of all aspects of the discipline obtained through experience, networking, research and other means of professional development
- Knowledge of technology and developments within the discipline
- Knowledge of the transmission system reliability and performance
- Knowledge of substation and transmission system components, performance and operation
- Knowledge of network planning and analysis
- Demonstrated initiative and innovation to depart from or adapt accepted practices and procedures
- Demonstrated ability and skills to manage and deliver projects to agreed quality standards, within budget and schedule constraints
- Well-developed analytical, investigation and problem solving skills
- Demonstrated ability to apply sound project management methodology to manage own work
- Ability to communicate effectively to customers as well as in-house;
- Ability to promote our services to technical and commercial decision makers as well as to engineers evaluating our service;
- Fluent in spoken and written English and other local languages;
- Willingness to travel, 15 - 25% of the time as an estimation
The position will report to Engineering Leader – Renewables Asia Pacific