Senior Substation Engineer
Job ID 18346
Taylor Hopkinson has been exclusively retained to build out a project team who will develop and execute two Scotwind projects for a new offshore wind consortium.
The Senior Substation engineer will be technical lead for all offshore and onshore substation components from initial concept and design through to construction.
This is a full time, staff role based in Edinburgh.
- Electrical substation technical lead for all offshore and onshore substation and electrical systems designs.
- HV/LV electrical design and layout design and delivery of HV substations (up to 400kV) onshore & offshore.
- Supporting offshore topside design and installation with HV/LV primary plant expertise
- Supporting onshore civil design with HV primary plant knowledge
- Managing equipment specifications and design review for power requirements of ancillary equipment for the offshore windfarm to grid connection.
- Checking electrical load calculations for plant.
- Specifying and managing design of reactive compensation and harmonic filters.
- Working with power system engineers and reviewing power system analysis reports.
- Informing EIA/Consent applications with the necessary inputs related to onshore and offshore HV/MV primary plant for the onshore and offshore substations.
- Writing electrical HV primary plant and ancillary services engineering consultancy scopes of work.
- Writing the electrical HV primary plant and ancillary services engineering design + installation technical requirements for issue to EPCI contractors and support procurement processes.
- Maintaining IEC/CIGRE/ISO/IEEE standards and required Pre-Qualification/Type Testing requirements for HV primary plant where required.
- Supporting the Electrical Engineering Manager with monthly design reviews, engineering risk management, budgeting and programme.
- Support project technical engineering meetings with other engineering stakeholders both internally within TWP and externally.
- Applying CDM to HV Primary plant and ancillary services design.
- Bachelor or Masters in electrical engineering.
- Experience as an Electrical engineer with (HV/MV) experience of offshore wind and onshore project development and construction.
- Detailed knowledge of the UK grid system and Grid Code Compliance requirements.
- Understanding of IEC/CIGRE onshore and offshore standards and ENA standards in relation to HV primary plant and ancillary services design.
- Demonstrable experience of application of CDM to projects during development and construction.
- Experience of working within a multi-disciplinary team and be able to communicate complex cable engineering matters to others with less knowledge of the subject matter.
- Detail oriented and systematic approach to design.
- Advanced knowledge of Microsoft Office software including Excel, Power Point and Word; familiarity with design programs and database systems are advantages relevant to function.
- Exceptional written communication and presentation skills.
- Willingness to travel on a regular basis, especially within the UK.
- Experience with software tools for Load flow and dynamic studies such as Digsilent or PSCad.