Environmental Affairs Specialist
The Environmental Affairs Specialist will join the offshore wind permitting team to develop and supporting an environmental program and all environmental aspects of offshore wind projects, including designing, permitting, overseeing, and analyzing results from environmental survey campaigns to minimize impacts to environmental resources throughout all project phases.
A critical opportunity associated with the execution of offshore wind project design, permitting, and environmental assessment to support the project's Construction and Operations Plan and related permits and approvals in a timely manner.
- Be responsible for analyzing publicly available resource data and ensuring compliance with regulatory authority requirements, guidelines, and best practices for environmental research, monitoring, and mitigation to support environmental impact statements.
- Contribute to preparation of permit applications, obtain necessary approvals for data collection campaigns and planning for surveys to comply with regulatory requirements.
- Participate in state, regional, and national environmental working groups to identify and address key environmental challenges and concerns associated with developing offshore wind projects.
- Identify and establish relationships with strategic research partners, including universities, to collaborate on surveys, research, or other environmental initiatives, and developing processes for sharing non-proprietary data with the greater research and stakeholder communities.
- Evaluate and support survey and data collection technology innovations and other novel ways to address space-use conflicts, and represent company on working groups or industry, to continually improve efforts to be protective of life and environment.
- To a large extent, act in project-specific roles comparable to the Environmental Affairs Manager job description as part of group-wide project organizations and in such role reports to applicable work package / workstream / project manager of the respective project(s).
- Travel across project and company offices and to meet with permitting stakeholders and other key interest groups.
- Provide environmental, biological, and ecological expertise to the development and permitting of offshore wind project activities, onshore and offshore, to support successful permitting of project design, installation, and operations that is protective of the environment.
- Develop, seek regulatory and stakeholder feedback on, and manage execution of multi-year environmental research and monitoring programs, including the procurement, and contracting of consultant/contractor services.
- Preparation of scope of work, tender specifications, and contracts for biological and environmental surveys and data collection/monitoring efforts, and ensure that site survey methods, scope, and overall campaign time line meets project needs, regulatory requirements, and technical standards.
- Coordinate with federal agencies (BOEM, NOAA NMFS, USFWS, etc.) and state agencies, as well as key environmental interest groups and stakeholders.
- Bachelor's degree or graduate degree in environmental studies/science, marine affairs, biology, ecology or related field.
- Experience with offshore environmental and ecological programs, which may include research and monitoring efforts, survey campaigns, and impact mitigation techniques.
- Successful experience permitting energy-related projects in compliance with NEPA and related federal, state, and local environmental regulations.
- In-depth knowledge of US regulations and policies (NEPA, MMPA, MBTA, ESA, MSFCMA, etc.), as well as a solid understanding of the concerns of key decision-makers, policymakers, and state or federal authorities.
- Knowledge of offshore wind, including US offshore wind regulations and environmental, technical, and HSE best practices and standards.
- Experience overseeing biological and other environmental site investigations for offshore projects.
- Outstanding written and verbal communication and interpersonal skills with demonstrated ability to effectively communicate across multiple levels within a company and externally to diverse audiences and stakeholders.
- Excellent technical writing and communication skills, and ability to analyze and synthesize complex data and clearly communicate key information.