Principal Consultant- Taiwan
Leading international renewable energy consultancy recruiting for a Principal Consultant to play a key role in meeting ambitious business growth objectives for the Taiwanese offshore wind market. This role will allow the successful candidate to shape the future of the business in Taiwan and function within a growing and ambitious company. Direct input into the strategy and operation of the business in Taiwan and APAC is expected and appreciated.
This a full-time, staff position based in Taipei.
The Principal Consultant will have responsibility for leading the Taiwan team's development and performance. This can include the delivery of engineering or consultancy project deliverables as part of discrete assignments or supporting projects being delivered to clients in the offshore renewables sector on a global basis.
The role is seen as key to developing new services, capabilities and tools, plus, engaging with the company's client base in direct sales and marketing engagements.
The role will also be client facing whereby the successful candidate will expected to bring new work into the company using existing contacts and having the commercial acumen to bring in new work. All this will be done whilst at the same time developing the profile of the the business in team and managing the team within it. The successful applicant will be expected to work with and alongside the Business Development Director and Taiwan Country Manger in developing and executing sales and marketing plans and activity.
It is vital that the Principal Consultant ensures the continuous development of existing staff; the people management aspect of this role is vitally important.
They will be an ambassador for technical excellence and also represent and promote engineering capabilities within the wider business.
The Principal Consultant shall contribute to and develop some or all of the following business areas:
- Project Development Services
- Project Consenting and Permitting Services
- Geotechnical and Structural Engineering
- Cables and Cable Installation
- Electrical/grid engineering
- Wind Turbine Generators
- Floating wind
Key responsibilities and duties:
- Sustain professional excellence with respect to offshore wind development, engineering and construction / operational project processes and services.
- Managing all resources at disposal and then recognizing any shortfall in resources and arrange for the team to be strengthened with either new FTEs or freelancers depending on the nature of the work and the future backlog and pipeline projections.
- Ensure that activities operate in accordance with all health, safety and environmental policies and procedures to guarantee the safety and wellbeing of staff, sub-contractors and any other third parties who may be impacted by our work.
- Ensure work and technical quality standards are maintained and are consistent.
- Support the preparation of budgets and forecasts for Taiwan office.
- Monitor costs and performance of projects under your responsibility.
- Manage any direct reports in a way that results in high retention rate, ensuring that all the team members have personal development plans and that they are developing in technical and communication skills required in a leading engineering consultancy.
- Author technical or consultancy reports and present at conferences, showcasing technical excellence.
- Liaise and work closely with the Business Development Director and Country Manager in both the planning and execution of sales and marketing activities.
- The role is Taiwan based, but requires flexibility for Asian and global travel, as necessary, and this will be required as part of the position.
- Bachelor's Degree qualified in a discipline related to offshore renewables business.
- A Masters' Degree qualified in a discipline related to offshore renewables business (desirable).
- Professional Body Membership (desirable).
- Strong background and experience from the offshore renewables (or related) sector (min 6 years) either from an organisation engaged in R&D, consenting/permitting, engineering and/or Project Management and a successful track record of managing a multi-discipline team
- Experience of working in a site environment and offshore is also seen as highly advantageous
- A leader with a good understanding of the development of offshore wind projects
- Project management experience
- Ideally the candidate will have worked in an offshore wind developer organisation or a consultancy.
- Experience of offshore wind markets in South Asia is desirable.
Technical Skills & Knowledge:
- Experience of managing and developing a team; being the coach and mentor of a multidisciplinary team.
- Experience of managing a package of an offshore wind farm development.
- Mandarin language skills would be advantageous.
- Effective leader, supportive and role model for the engineering and/or project teams
- Entrepreneurial spirit that will be given a remit to grow and develop the team
- Ability and enthusiasm for writing technical papers and speaking at conference
- Good interpersonal skills, a strong team player with pro-active approach
- Outgoing and pragmatic with strength of character
- Attention to detail and high level of numerical accuracy and the ability to prioritise work
- Well organised and self-directed
- Excellent English communication skills and excellent report writing skills