Substructures Design Engineer
The Substructures Design Engineer is responsible for ensuring delivery of the engineering design basis. They will ensure that the project is appropriately engaged with key external stakeholders - such as the supply chain and regulatory bodies as relevant to substructures - and internal stakeholders - such as the corporate technical team and the commercial and procurement teams to provide support with respective activities. All this with the aim to develop a reliable technical solution, optimising levelized cost of energy (LCoE) and quality while minimising health, safety and environmental risk.
Full time role based in Edinburgh
- Support the management of allocated design workstreams from instigation through to completion - e.g. pre-FEED and FEED workstreams for the design of substructure components.
- Overall accountability for the delivery of the substructure design associated with the development of an offshore wind project including: engineering design basis for the substructure components, manufacturing, T&I and commissioning.
- Responsible for the preparation, elaboration and provision of all the specifications and technical documentation to allow the project engagement and to evaluate the suppliers, with the intention of guaranteeing the correct application, bidding, construction and operation, ensuring that the determining factors established by the permitting, environmental and other local requirements are met.
- Responsible for supervising the preparation of request for proposals (RFPs), assessing offers and monitoring contractors for engineering studies and for EPCI contracts.
- Support offshore development and consenting process by providing input on relevant engineering and technical matters such as anticipated design parameters and construction methods associated with the substructures package.
- Translate engineering issues into CAPEX and OPEX
- Manage contracts related to the design of the substructure components.
- Ensure the appropriate engineering governance is put in place and managed, including development of technical risk registers, design safety risk registers and implementation of design management processes.
- Monitor offshore substructures technology development and ensure that this is considered in the development of project, including identifying optimisation and cost reduction opportunities.
- Report progress on engineering and technical work during the project development phase.
- Provide specialist engineering support and/or coordination to other work packages where requested.
- Ensure that lessons learned are properly documented throughout the life of the project.
- Support technical due diligence processes.
- M Eng Degree or equivalent in Civil / Structural / Naval Engineering
- Knowledge of offshore structures design / study / analysis processes and techniques
- Direct experience of substructure design, manufacture and/or installation
- Engineering skills in large projects.
- Aptitude to problem solving.
- Results oriented with strong ability to deliver on plans.
- Good experience in working in complex environments and different cultural environments.
- Excellent communication, diplomatic, networking and influencing skills.
- Excellent team player, strong negotiator and credibility builder inside and outside of the company.
- Proven experience within a group support function within international environment.
- Familiar with advanced specialist engineering software.