Commercial Lease & Planning Manager
One of the largest independent generators of onshore wind energy in Europe are recruiting for a Commercial Lease & Planning Manager to lead their efforts in extending leases for currently operation UK projects and developing a strategy for repowering.
Our client has recently expanded their portfolio across Europe with ambitious plans to add further high-quality assets.
This position is based in Edinburgh and is ideal for a candidate with a strong background in UK onshore wind planning applications looking to use their negotiation and project management skills working for a highly reputable renewable energy business.
Responsible for leading our client's commercial lease and planning activities, securing extensions for existing wind farms and developing options for repowering. Initial focus will predominantly be in the UK, with some opportunities to explore in continental Europe.
- Lead commercial activities in extending the operational life of wind farms, managing a comprehensive programme securing extensions to operational leases and planning permissions. Develop detailed action plan taking into account current leases and permissions and the commercial priorities.
- Lead negotiations with landowners and land agents to secure extension to existing leases, including where appropriate, options to repower the existing wind farms.
- Develop and implement a programme for securing extensions to existing planning permissions, managing the relevant contractors to deliver a successful and efficient programme.
- Develop EIA Scoping strategy for the business. Project Manage EIA Scoping reviews with contractors, acting as the company interface to finalise EIA requirements for planning applications.
- Work with Brand & Stakeholder Manager and asset management team on community support activities, engagement with local community etc. to support planning applications. Oversee communications plan to help demonstrate the value of planning extensions to the local community.
- Work with Head of Legal to develop resourcing plan to support negotiation of commercial and property agreements.
- Interaction with company Engineering team to understand the work that has been done to support the safety and operational integrity of the wind farms, and how this supports the aim to extend the operating life of the wind farms.
- Lead review of Repowering Options. Co-ordinate necessary project work to allow for detailed review of project economics and establish set of recommendations for repowering versus continued life extension.
- Become initial point of contact to review potential development sites/portfolios that may arise through M&A activities, and support Business Development team to help evaluate potential valuations and areas for upside.
- Review current obligations around current Escrow Accounts, Letters of Credit, deposit accounts etc. and lead appropriate negotiations to optimise commercial solutions.
- Project manage decommissioning reviews of relevant assets.
- Negotiation of other commercial agreements, providing support to the Procurement & Commercial Manager in negotiating other agreements.
- Experience of dealing with planning applications for onshore wind projects in the UK.
- Significant experience in negotiating leases for onshore wind farms.
- Demonstrable experience of project management.
- Demonstrable experience of managing and liaising with third party contractors.
- Ability to think strategically and work cross functionally in a professional environment.
- Strong commercial and financial understanding.
- Persuasive communication and influencing skills at all levels.
- Exemplary verbal and written communication skills.
- Excellent relationship building skills.
- High numerical and analytical ability.
- Strong and experienced user of Excel or project management tools.