Control and Automation Engineer
Control and Automation Engineer working directly for one of the world's largest owner operators of onshore wind.
This is full-time permanent staff position, with the option to be based flexibly (with regular travel) in the UK.
Control and Automation Engineer will act as the Technical Expert for SCADA and Instrumentation & Control (Automation). The role will be part of a specialised team responsible for developing and delivering operational system solutions that will optimize assets operation and improve wind farm production. You will work closely with Electrical Engineering Team, Asset Management Team and 3rd party contractors to support the delivery of safe, efficient, and reliable substation automation solutions across the portfolio.
Automation & Continuous Improvement:
- Development of automation systems to wind farm substations of portfolio.
- Ensure the correct operation of the automation systems, resolution, and prevention of potential problems.
- Development of solutions that allow operational improvements.
- Working in collaboration with the Electrical Engineering team manage the operation, ongoing maintenance, and improvement of substation monitoring and control systems.
- Develop and manage interconnection between instrumentation and control and SCADA systems.
- Manage SCADA system development and maintenance.
- Undertake reliability assessments of C&I and SCADA systems.
- Manage the integration of Balance of Plant and wind turbine C&I and SCADA systems in the Energy platform.
- Manage wind turbine control systems and data interfaces working with wind turbine OEMs and independent service providers to ensure maximum availability and functionality.
- Manage and ensure maximum availability of grid point control systems for wind farms under the National Grid Balancing Mechanism or registered under the Optional Downward Flexibility (ODFM) management scheme.
- Working with Procurement, establish and manage critical C&I spares holding.
PII and Repowering:
- Support the Engineering team with the development and implementation of Performance Improvement Initiatives (PII) to contribute to the delivery of top quartile lifetime performance (TQLP).
- Support the implementation of organic growth aspirations with repowering, overpowering, and co-location of other forms of generation or energy storage.
- Degree in Engineering or equivalent.
- Driving license (required).
- Demonstrable experience in a similar role.
- Strong understanding and demonstrable experience of working with automation systems (preferably with Omron and Schneider PLC systems).
- Knowledge of electrical Low and Medium Voltage circuit analysis and troubleshooting.
- Demonstrable experience of automation programming languages like Ladder, STL and FBD.
- Strong knowledge of Modbus TCP/IP, Omron FINS and Profibus communication protocols.
- Knowledge of OPC DA and OPC UA communication protocols.
- Understanding and demonstrable experience of working with SCADA systems and communication protocols common to the Wind and Power Generation Industries.
- Knowledge and experience of developing HMI systems.
- Onshore wind energy experience is advantageous but not essential.