Country Manager Japan
Opportunity to lead operations in Japan with a leading global offshore wind consultancy.
The Country Manager’s role entails responsibility for the day-to-day management decisions and executing the long and short term strategic plans of the Company within the assigned Country. The Country Manager is responsible for effectively managing the performance of employees to ensure deliverables in accordance with our client’s instructions, procedures and policies.
The Country Manager will be responsible for establishing and growing our client’s renewables business in Japan initially focusing on the offshore wind segments of the market. The priority will be to set up an office/team and to grow the business by offering full consultancy portfolio to serve this geographic market. The main driver will be to extend the client base, securing new work in the process from our existing clients and ensuring turnover and profit levels are in line with budget expectations. The focus will be on organic growth and the business unit will build on our client’s strengths and existing infrastructure and offshore capability in the region. The role will require close co-operation with the wider regional team from our client’s parent business to mobilise their support and stimulate cross selling where suitable activities present themselves.
The Country Manager will ensure efficient delivery and service to all internal and external customers, and give the highest level of customer satisfaction, whilst in parallel setting up the business in the region and achieving organic growth and financial success.
The primary responsibility is to manage the country commercially and operationally, to grow the business within Japan, however it will be also encouraged to look further afield for other business opportunities in other Asian countries. This is to be done whilst maximizing profitability and ensuring quality, performance improvement and customer service delivery are maintained.
The role includes (but is not limited to the following):
- Responsible for our client’s Japan business unit’s establishment, development and performance.
- Development of strategies, action plans and associated budgets to achieve growth plans.
- Commercial responsibility for developing business in Japan.
- Management of organizational arrangements, systems and processes to enable the efficient and effective deployment of resources in line with and supporting the development.
- Implementation of approved budgets and plans.
- Implementation of group policies and procedures throughout the business.
- Producing consultancy/engineering deliverables as part of discrete assignments or supporting projects being delivered to clients in the offshore renewables sector on a global basis. In addition to management duties you will be expected to be on chargeable work at least 50% of your time. This is important to stay at the cutting edge of renewables deliverables.
- Working with the existing teams in the other regions to jointly market services where appropriate, share resources as appropriate and cross sell opportunities wherever possible.
- Responsibility for recruitment against an agreed by company recruitment plan, in communication with the HR Manager, as part of the financial budgets.
- Responsibility for close control and management of sub-contractor qualification, quality, costs and performance.
- Overall management control of the Japan business unit to ensure progressive turnover, acceptable profit margins and to main good cost control and cash recovery.
- Establish and then maintain good client relationships with regular contact and checks on satisfaction with respect to service provision and delivery expectations.
- Management of, leadership and direction for all personnel: FTEs and sub-contractors within the Japan team.
- Ensuring strict adherence to HSEQ procedures and systems for all personnel
- Development and motivation of the Japan team, fostering a high level of co-operation with other senior managers.
- Development and achievement of collective goals (including regional goals) with fellow senior managers and regional support functions.
- Contribution to the development and delivery of accurate progress and financial reports to Management.
- Facilitating the internal audit process and to be responsible for implementing the ensuing action plans.
- Ensuring all projects are well resources using a combination of local resources and where appropriate back-office support from other offices.
- Ensuring full and accurate understanding of contract pricing mechanisms.
- Work closely with other Country Managers, Directors and Senior staff to ensure that technical compliance and lessons learns from previous projects across the network are transferred to our major projects.
- Develop, gain authorization and execute a national specific sales and marketing plan to achieve agreed revenue and profit objectives.
- Author technical reports and present at conferences, all designed to showcase technical excellence. Encourage team to do likewise.
- Liaise and work closely with the Business Development Director in both the planning and execution of sales and marketing activities.
- An experienced manager with commercial experience and clear evidence of managing a P&L within a business unit
- Substantial operational experience within a consultancy or utility company
- Significant relevant professional experience within the Offshore Wind Industry
- Experience of Japanese offshore markets/power sector
- Proven successful track record of identifying and converting opportunities into sales
- A strong commercial background in engineering consultancy in the renewables sector
- Technical understanding of offshore wind
- The ability to establish effective business relationships with decision makers and to maintain professional network
- The ability to set up and develop new offices in new countries.
- The ability to recruit, manage and develop an effective team of consultants, fostering their career advancement including suitable coaching and mentoring abilities
- A proven team leader of people across different work disciplines
- Effective and efficient management skills;
- A good communicator at all levels
- A pro-active thinker with proven change management skills
- Proven ability to deliver stretching financial and non-financial targets
- Sets, maintains and monitors high standards of work
- Fluent in English