The Finance Associate, Asia will be responsible for supporting the origination, due diligence and financial investment decisions for new investments in the power sector in Asia. This position will provide financial and commercial assessment of the investment propositions which will be presented to the investment committee and board of directors. The role will support the Development team in Asia across key functions including; due diligence, financial modelling, market analysis, financial analysis and market research. Critical to this person's success will be bringing not only specialized financial experience but equally mature influencing and management skills
This role requires excellent communication skills and flexibility to work across a range of projects, embed with local teams and support the businesses growth targets. This role would entail working across a number of development projects from origination through to FID / financial close for renewable energy technologies across the businesses. This position will require travel across Europe and the Asia-Pacific region to support development and execution teams. This position reports directly to the Commercial Development Director, Asia and will have a link to the Development Finance Team.
- Work closely with members of the Asia Development team to originate, structure, and execute on commercial and strategic initiatives, including joint development opportunities, project acquisitions, and platform opportunities, with emphasis on wind and solar power generation.
- Responsible for preparing and managing project-level financial models for valuation, risk assessment, and cash flow evaluation purposes.
- Responsible for reviewing and stress testing financial models prepared by third parties and advisors.
- Assist in the coordination of due diligence, including: preparing questions for company management and external advisors, reviewing documentation, researching industry information, supporting the coordination of internal and external terms, and summarizing results.
- Assist in the growth of the Asia development team by taking initiative for a variety of internal tasks.
- Responsible for writing investment memorandums and preparing presentations summarizing key findings from internal and external sources.
- Accountable for translating financial analysis into concise recommendations.
- Review market data and financial statements to identify possible acquisition targets and prepare models to value possible acquisition benefits.
- Gather relevant information through communication with external organizations, colleagues and the use of electronic information providers.
- Research and analyze financial statements, industry information, technical and financial data to present conclusions to team members.
- Liaise and communicate with corporate departments in support of project development.
- Support various reporting and administrative requirements as required.
- As requested on an ad hoc basis, contribute to a variety of special projects.
Who you are:
- Methodical and organised: you naturally work in a methodical way and relish the opportunity to add structure and order to your work. This will help with the competing priorities you will be managing
- Collaborative: You build relationships easily and enjoy working as a team to get things done
- Diligent: Your solid attention to detail will ensure that project documentation is accurate, and you follow up with others where needed to ensure outstanding information or actions are complete
- Independent: You are an independent thinker and naturally set your own timescales and milestones to ensure you meet your objectives. You know when you need to ask for help and are comfortable doing so
- Flexible: You are agile in your approach to your work and in working hours, after all you will be working alongside colleagues in other countries
- Pragmatic: You are hands on and love getting involved in the detail
- Able to communicate at a high level in English (and ideally an Asian language) both with internal and external stakeholders
Qualifications and Experience:
- 2-3 years of investment banking, private equity, management consulting, or other transaction-related experience, preferably with a background in power and renewables, or infrastructure;
- Business undergraduate degree (Economics or Finance) or related field, with exceptional academic results;
- Masters of Finance, CFA, ACA, or other advanced designations considered an asset;
- Strong understanding of applied investment and valuation methodologies;
- Demonstrated experience valuing corporate or project-level acquisition opportunities;
- Experience creating and reviewing detailed cash flow and three-statement financial models;
- Strong technical/computer skills (Excel, Word, PowerPoint, Bloomberg);
- Proven ability to think strategically and to translate complex financial inputs into concise financial analysis and recommendations;
- Strong oral and written English communication skills, including the ability to interact with diverse internal and external stakeholders and counterparties;