Head of Legal & Compliance
Head of Legal & Compliance
Our client, a large Investment Bank, is hiring Head of Legal & Compliance to help the Group support the transition to a low carbon, sustainable global economy. This is a London-based role, but with the option to be based in another location with frequent travel to London. Initially, you will work in the EMEA Energy Technology team supporting the Senior Vice President / CEO in the development of the Europe wide e-mobility business.
Ultimately, it is envisaged that this role will transfer into a dedicated EV platform business at which point, as Head of Legal & Compliance, you will be responsible for building and managing the legal, compliance, risk management and corporate governance activities for the business.
You will take responsibility for providing legal advice and risk management (including in relation to corporate governance matters, reviewing and negotiating transaction and project documents and providing asset management and advisory services) in relation to the EV platform business. You will join the team at its outset and build a team around you as the business grows. You will procure external legal advice necessary to complement in-house resources and expertise.
Your role will comprise the following key responsibilities:
- establishing and implementing strong corporate governance and risk management framework
- establishing and promoting legal, compliance and risk management best practice throughout the company and assisting in business compliance with relevant internal policies (e.g. employee relations, health and safety, anti-bribery and corruption) and external regulations
- project and legal due diligence
- advising on the terms of investments in development and construction stage of EV charging infrastructure and fleet vehicle assets and joint venture and shareholder agreements
- EPC, O&M, lease / service agreements and procurement contracting and negotiation
- corporate advisory and secretary role for the Boards of project and holding companies
- co-ordinating and managing the provision of local external legal advice
- centre of expertise and oversight for commercial and operations teams (sales, engineering, and construction)
- acquisition of new or existing EV infrastructure development and construction projects and businesses (M&A)
- advising on B2B services agreements (public and private sector), lease agreements, grid connection requirements and real estate leases (UK and EU)
- advising on all intellectual property matters (patents, trademarks, copyright)
- advice on regulatory and legal developments associated with the business
- assisting in third party asset management and advisory arrangements
- advising on project financing arrangements
- contribute to the maintenance of key corporate and legal documentation, including precedent legal documents, database and physical signed contracts.
- assisting in dispute resolution matters.
To be successful in this role, you will have 8+ years PQE, be qualified in England & Wales with strong experience in the energy and/or infrastructure sector across the UK and EU, especially in contract management and project development gained through working in a law firm and/or in-house. Experience of energy storage, electric vehicle infrastructure, software as a service (SaaS) or B2B construction projects would be an advantage.
You will be able to demonstrate people leadership skills, initiative, be self-directed and have a strong sense of personal motivation, including the ability to complete projects and provide advice in a timely manner. You will enjoy assuming responsibility and demonstrate the confidence to work in a team environment as well as independently on transactions. You'll also be able to negotiate, draft and review complex project documents and have a strong understanding of key legal risks on development and construction projects, with the ability to proactively identify and manage risks as they arise. It is essential that you have strong technical legal skills with an attention to detail and an ability to deliver a high standard of work under tight time constraints.
You will have excellent communication skills and the ability to liaise at all levels. You will need to be an ambitious, motivated team player and have the drive to succeed.