Offshore Wind Controls and Automation Engineer
The Offshore Wind Controls and Automation Engineer will be part of a new global offshore wind execution team with a major international energy developer.
Taylor Hopkinson is retained to build out a global offshore wind team for one of the world's leading energy businesses. This team will develop & execute projects in the UK & US as well forming a global centre of excellence for a rapidly growing offshore wind portfolio.
This is a full-time, permanent position based in the UK (location flexible).
- The individual for this position will be expected to provide control & automation engineering services associated with wind generation power and be knowledgeable of applicable industry standards and practices.
- The expertise is provided through: recommendation of technical solutions, appraisal of technology developments and delivering engineering studies
- The control & automation engineer reports to the control & automation manager and is responsible for providing technical expertise in SCADA and control system engineering associated with wind generated power.
- Evaluate technical offers and verify feasibility.
- Contribute to concept selection and define scope of work for contractors.
- Act as company responsible engineer for assigned work scopes delivered by contractors.
- Extract, record and implement learning from project execution and operational experience and contribute to the development of standard engineering practices.
- Advise on architectural network concepts for SCADA and wind power plant solutions.
- Assure the design and implementation of digitally secure systems in accordance with the company's standards.
- Work with other ICE discipline engineers and Digital teams to deliver solutions for network surveillance system that secure optimal and continuous operation of SCADA and wind power systems.
- Work with contractors and equipment manufacturers to ensure robust integration of control systems.
- Providing technical guidance on application of codes, standards, project design criteria and ETPs.
- Support for the Control & Automation Community of Practice (CoP) and the wider Instrument, Control and Electrical (ICE) Network.
- Bachelor and/or master's degree in engineering or related discipline relevant to control & automation engineering.
- Chartered engineering or registered professional engineer
- 10+ years' experience in control & automation engineering
- Experience from the wind or other power supply industries including knowledge of associated codes and standards.
- Extensive experience with SCADA, network, process control and data exchange related installations for energy infrastructure.
- Experience in the design and maintenance of systems in accordance with international standards for cyber security.
- Experience working with a variety of industrial communication protocols for data and information exchange.
- Working knowledge of high voltage control, protection, and distribution systems found in a typical power plant substation.
- Working knowledge of industry and government standards such as IEC, ISO, EEMUA and/or ISA, NEC, API requirements for facilities and infrastructure.
- Knowledge of control system interface requirements to electrical systems.
- Fluent written and spoken English language
- Knowledge of hazard and risk analysis techniques such as FMECA, HAZOP and LOPA
- Certified in Cisco CCNA, CCNP and CCIE as well as Nirschmann Industrial System and Security
- Experience of working across different cultures, supporting different operating regions and engaging with a wide variety of customers or suppliers.
- Strong leadership skills, ability to influence and drive decisions.
- Good communicator, able to technically address with conviction verbally and written across projects and operations on technical matters at all levels of the company.