Taylor Hopkinson are delighted to be retained by one of the leading players in the energy industry globally, specifically to assist their New Markets team within their Renewable Energy business, E.ON Climate & Renewables (EC&R).
E.ON Climate & Renewables (EC&R) is responsible for E.ON’s industrial-scale renewable energy activities. Their technology portfolio covers onshore and offshore wind, as well as utility-scale photovoltaic (PV) solar power and energy storage.
They develop, build and operate large renewable energy assets primarily in Europe and North America, owning a diversified renewables portfolio of 5.7 GW and operating 6.8 GW across Europe and the US.
Since its formation in 2007, EC&R has invested more than €12 billion in renewable energy. While continuously expanding their portfolio, it is their ambition to further industrialise the sector and professionalise its operations. E.ON’s aim is to reduce the cost of renewable energy generation to make it even more competitive.
EC&R New Markets develops and drives the expansion and growth of the EC&R business beyond Europe and North America. With expansion plans and growth strategies in place across a variety of new countries, EC&R are building in-country teams, led by their respective Country Manager, to facilitate the growth of the business in these markets. The EC&R New Markets Team is headquartered in Essen, Germany.
E.ON boast a wealth of success with the renewable energy industry since their formation of EC&R, with more than 10 years of consistent activity in Investments, Installed Capacity, and EBIT, as shown in the graphs below.
With E.ON’s success story so far, and the experience of building their existing international renewables portfolio of 6.8GW (see footprint below), it brings a tried and tested methodology and strategy to its’ New Markets.
Accessing a centralised technical team of >200 highly skilled wind and solar engineers, a low cost of capital and moderate expectations on investment return, EC&R provide a significant platform for the growth of renewable energy in their chosen New Markets, offering a competitive solution to the country.
The EC&R New Markets team took the decision to enter four new countries;
Each of the above markets provide cross-technology potential and will complement E.ON’s existing renewables portfolio across Europe and the US.
The Country Manager is the primary representative in Japan and is responsible for building up and leading the local subsidiary. Leveraging EC&R’s global Development, Engineering and Asset Management teams, the Country Manager is responsible for establishing local partnerships and joint venture opportunities, creating a meaningful project pipeline and offtake opportunities in onshore and offshore wind with the strategic goal of building 50-100 MW p.a. renewable capacity.
- Strategy, Delivery & Budget: Responsible for strategy execution and delivery of project, offtake and investment opportunities in accordance to strategic targets and operational budget
- HSE: Comply with our HSE standards and procedures – Safety first! Share local insights and findings and help ensure that global best practices and learnings get transferred and implemented locally.
- Business development: Drive the business development according to EC&R strategic targets
- Translation of strategic into operational targets for Japan
- Identification and assessment of potential co-operations with local partners, e.g. co-development agreements, local communities and land owners, OEMs;
- Greenfield and acquisition growth and delivery of the project pipeline. Lead the origination and development of onshore and offshore wind projects (site and grid securing, wind resource assessments, permitting and wind farm design) up to FID.
- Preparation of investment decisions
- Leadership: Build-up and inspire a diverse team of initially 5-7 persons.
- Stakeholder management: Primary representative in Japan; Represents the company externally in towards government & regulatory bodies, business partners, and in industry associations.
- Governance & Administration: Assist in the creation of a highly-effective local wind development organization in accordance with EC&R policies and procedures
- Power Purchase: Manage the relationships with external energy offtakers and structure intelligent Power Purchase Agreements
- Excellent university degree. MBA or similar post-graduate degree a plus.
- At least 10 years of global, relevant work experience, incl. 5 years leadership experience in an international/corporate business environment. Proven track-record in managing growth.
- Relevant experience in developing / constructing / operating renewable plants in Japan or Asia
- In-depth understanding of the local energy and renewables market, renewable technologies and of national and regional regulation.
- Entrepreneurial mind set and proven ability to identify and size business and project opportunities
- Ability to building and maintain a contact-network and business relationships; experience in contract negotiations; relevant existing local contacts and network a plus (including across industries to potential customers in the mining sector)
- Proven leadership skills and managerial experience, ability to build and develop high performance teams and to motivate individuals and a team; Acting comfortably in cross-cultural teams, collaborating across country boundaries with a sense for diversity and inclusion
- Ability to analyze and summarize complex development topics and aggregate decision-relevant information to convey messages clearly and concisely
- Excellent oral and written Japanese and English language skills
- Willingness to travel
apply for this now
0141 559 6160