Job ID 7666
Taylor Hopkinson have been formally retained by an Offshore Wind consortium to search for an Operations Director.
The Operations Director, as the single point of accountability for the project company as the owner of the operational wind farm, is expected to maximise the lifetime value of the asset, including optimising for availability and yield, and optimising costs and minimise exposure to risks, while driving adherence to all safety, health, and environmental and Joint Venture business principles. The operational organisation consists of a small core management team that is supported by a professional external subcontractor engaged for carrying out the day-to-day operational business.
The Operations Director is the “face” of the project company to the Board, the shareholders and external stakeholders.
The Operations Director is a member of the Executive Committee and reports to the Board. Together with the Finance Manager the Operations Director will be responsible for and ensuring that all aspects of running the project as a “business” are undertaken (either directly by the Executive Committee or by internal or external service providers, such as the subcontractor that manages day-to-day activities), including but not limited to the following workstreams:
- HSE&Q Management & Compliance
- Technical management: project Operation & Management of internal and external subcontractors and or service providers
- Financial management and Planning, including Facilities Agreement with a larger group of lenders
- Commercial Management, including managing the PPA
- Contract Management
- Governance & Management of Stakeholders – shareholders, government authorities, local communities
- Risk and Insurance management
- Organisation and People
- Regulatory Affairs: ensure compliance with permits of the company, influence policy developments (with support of contractors)
- External communication: public affairs of company
- Be a member of the Executive Committee during the construction phase (from Q1 2020 onwards) in the role of ‘Operations Manager’ (finalisation and negotiation of the Asset Management Services Agreement and the close out of wind farm commissioning, contractual claims, if any, and defect rectification will be the responsibility of the Operations Director as well)
The Executive Committee will be supported by a Contracts Manager.
- Agree and deliver the performance KPIs for the wind farm, including but not limited to the P&L and development and implementation of short- and long-term business plans
- Ensure proper execution and delivery of the services promised under the Asset Management Services Agreement and Service and Availability Agreement and other service contracts
- Work with and approve the plans by operations (and subcontractor) teams for maintenance and repair activities, including exercising rights against warranties, in a fashion that represents owners’ value interest
- Manage the relationships with key stakeholders
- Develop in cooperation with the Finance Manager the annual operating budgets and performance targets for review and approval by the shareholders
- Develop a rolling three-year strategy and capital spending plan for review and approval by the shareholders together with the Finance Manager
- Develop and implement the long-term operations and maintenance strategy after completion of initial warranty and third-party O&M contract periods
- Ensure effective public engagement: protect company’s license to operate
- Place and manage insurance policies and claims
- Propose contracting strategies for approval, and negotiate and manage the procurement of contracts as needed to support operations, maintenance, and other activities together with the Contracts Manager
- Facilitate negotiation, revision, and delivery under PPAs and other customer contracts required on behalf of the shareholders
- Implement and manage governance and delegations of authority
- Participate in resourcing strategy and structure and HR processes relating to the owner’s team
- Serve as the public relations face of dealings with the press, local communities, regulators, interest groups, and other key stakeholders, whenever required.
- Complete commissioning and defect rectification from construction phase as required
- Identify potential risks, opportunities and conflicts of interests and act upon those
- Prepare monthly and quarterly reporting to shareholders and lenders
- Final responsible person for internal and external Audits.
- Health, Safety, Security and Environment Performance and Compliance
- JV (short and long term) Business Plans, in year Opex, Total Controllable costs, Capex (and to extent they are relevant, EBIT, EBITDA, NPV & IRR)
- KPIs set by the Board for the Operations Director
- Regular reporting in agreed formats to shareholders and lenders.
- Creation and sufficiency/quality of key strategy documents e.g. Asset Management Strategy, risk register and business plans and delivery against this strategy and plan.
- Audit completion of Service Providers
- Profit maximisation
- Scheduled and unscheduled maintenance timely completion to meet KPI’s
- Experience in management of large infrastructure operations, ideally a technical background in (offshore) wind
- Competence and experience in managing HSSE responsibilities
- Strong analytical skills and communication skills
- Commercial acumen and results driven
- Helicopter view and the ability to make conscious decisions: needs to be experienced and competent enough to take responsibility and be able to defend own position
- Experience in working in a joint venture structure and environment (managing relationships with the Board that consist of multiple shareholders)
- Experience in working in a project finance environment (managing relationships with multiple banks together with the Finance Manager)
- Able to represent the JV at public events, including public speaking, providing press statements, and affinity with local engagement.
- Demonstrated experience in setting-up, and managing a newly established JV with limited number of staff
- Flexible and pro-active attitude
- Strong (people) management and leadership skills
- Track record in operational value creation.
- Fluent in English (oral and written)
apply for this now
0141 559 6160